The Data Engineer utilizes a wide range of technologies to design, develop, and deploy innovative programming and technical solutions to data analytics and data processing. The Data Engineer is expected to demonstrate increased proficiency in newly acquired industry-related skills. This person can work independently and produce work according to clear-cut and complete specifications.
- Proficiency in designing and developing innovative data analytics software and methods.
- Contributes across whole project lifecycle, utilizing peers for guidance where necessary.
- Operate independently and seeks assistance or guidance when required.
- Ability to recognize trends and patterns in the data that can be exploited into a repeatable analysis process
- Performs triage of product support requests, problem determination and assists with escalation when appropriate
- Demonstrates a complete understanding of a core-product or service offering’s features, construction and operating characteristics
- Incorporates effective test procedures, logging and monitoring in software with minimal oversight
- Participates in regular review of individual output to ensure it conforms to department and company standards
- Contributes to efforts in maintaining and improving product quality
- identification and submission of product improvement when appropriate
- Creates quality product and support documentation
- Identifies risks to projects, communicates and formulates mitigation plans
- Actively contributes to cross-functional team efforts
- Conducts self-assessments by comparing required skills with existing knowledge to develop, present and execute plans for improvement
- Consistently delivers to deadlines at the required quality standards
- Embodies and demonstrates maturity, professionalism, and ethics
- Articulate in oral and written communication
- Working-level knowledge of algorithms
- Demonstrates sound coding techniques
- Able to break-down complex requirements into workflows and identify key performance indicators.
- Proficient in the use of databases: query and data definition
- Proficiency in one or more core languages: Golang, Python, SQL, Bash, Perl
- Proficient in the use of industry standard tooling (i.e. the Atlassian Stack, etc.)
- Competent with Linux
- Solid oral and written communications skills
- Consistently adheres to commitments with respect to delivery and timeframe
- Working knowledge of networking protocols
Additional Desired Skills/Abilities
- Familiarity with design patterns and industry best practices
- Experience with one or alternative database technologies like: ElasticSearch, Apache Cassandra, Mongo DB, Spark
- Experience with Cloud technologies like: AWS, Google Cloud, Azure
- Ability to effectively create and utilize REST APIs
- Proactively creates automated analytics solutions to push team’s capabilities and increased situational awareness
- Knowledge of MVC frameworks
- Ability to execute complex queries and design relational databases in PostgreSQL using referential integrity, views, stored procedures and proper indices
- Ability to create visualizations from resultant analytic results
- Experience creating and distributing Jupyter Notebooks for repeatable data analysis
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Typically has two to four years combined industry / education experience
- Some specialized training or education beyond high school is preferred
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to travel up to 5% of the time.