Why choose between doing meaningful work and having a fulfilling life? At MITRE, you can have both. That's because MITRE people are committed to tackling our nation's toughest challenges—and we're committed to the long-term well-being of our employees. MITRE is different from most technology companies. We are a not-for-profit corporation chartered to work for the public interest, with no commercial conflicts to influence what we do. The R&D centers we operate for the government create lasting impact in fields as diverse as cybersecurity, healthcare, aviation, defense, and enterprise transformation. We're making a difference every day—working for a safer, healthier, and more secure nation and world. Our workplace reflects our values. We offer competitive benefits, exceptional professional development opportunities, and a culture of innovation that embraces diversity, inclusion, flexibility, collaboration, and career growth. If this sounds like the choice you want to make, then choose MITRE—and make a difference with us.
The Center for Securing the Homeland (CSH) Cyber Analytics Department (P742) is seeking a Cybersecurity Data Scientist who will join a team of data scientists, analysts, and engineers. The explosion of data and complexity of problems facing MITRE’s sponsors requires an innovative approach which MITRE is leading through the application of new technology and techniques. You will work on real-world problems through the application of sound engineering principles. Candidates who identify as Data Engineers, Data Scientists, Cybersecurity Analysts, Cloud Engineers, Software Developers, or Software Engineers will be considered strong candidates for this position.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with MITRE mission specialists and engineers supporting the HSSEDI sponsor to help design, develop, and implement solutions and technologies to address cyberspace challenges.
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Perform data wrangling, analyze large and diverse datasets and demonstrate expertise with at least one modern programming language such as Python, R, Java or Scala
- Organize and visually display analytic results for further analysis
- Contribute to the preparation of comprehensive written reports, presentations, and charts based on research, collection, and analysis of data
- Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 2 years of related experience; or an advanced degree with relevant experience who can immediately contribute at this job step; or equivalent combination of related education and work experience.
- Ability to work with others to solve challenging technical problems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, adapted to a variety of audiences
- Proven skills in data science related to data wrangling and analysis of data
- Applicants selected for this position may be subject to a government security investigation
- Master of Science in Data Analytics, Cybersecurity, Software Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related engineering disciplines
- Bachelor of Science in Data Analytics, Cybersecurity, Software Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related engineering disciplines
- Experience in a customer-facing environment
- Experience working with or leading teams
- Experience with cyber analytics
- Experience with data visualization
- Demonstrated experience visualizing multi-dimensional data using tools such as Tableau, Qlik, Kibana, neo4j, ggplot2, Plotly, matplotlib, or D3.js.
- Demonstrated experience with one modern programming language such as Python, C++, or Java
- Work with sponsors, vendors, and partner contractors to gain understanding of sponsor business challenges and evaluate possible technical solutions
- Excellent communications, writing, and briefing skills
- Skill in applying and incorporating information technologies into proposed solutions
- Applicants selected for this position will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or applicants who are eligible for security clearances.
- Applicants must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
This requisition requires the candidate to have a minimum of the following clearance(s):
Fitness - DHS
This requisition requires the hired candidate to have or obtain, within one year from the date of hire, the following clearance(s):
Fitness - DHS
Work Location Type:
MITRE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. MITRE recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of age; ancestry; color; family medical or genetic information; gender identity and expression; marital, military, or veteran status; national and ethnic origin; physical or mental disability; political affiliation; pregnancy; race; religion; sex; sexual orientation; and any other protected characteristics. For further information please visit the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission website EEO is the Law Poster and Pay Transparency.
MITRE intends to maintain a website that is fully accessible to all individuals. If you are unable to search or apply for jobs and would like to request a reasonable accommodation for any part of MITRE’s employment process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright © 1997-2023, The MITRE Corporation. All rights reserved. MITRE is a registered trademark of The MITRE Corporation. Material on this site may be copied and distributed with permission only.
Benefits information may be found here