We are Farmers!
We are… more than just your favorite commercials. We are a passionate, award winning, equal opportunity employer, committed to the strength of a diverse workforce. We are dedicated to supporting the well-being of our people through our extensive suite of benefits, as well as the well-being of the communities we serve through employee volunteer programs and nonprofit partnerships. Helping others in their time of need isn’t just our business – it’s our culture! We are Farmers!
Do you thrive in a high-volume, fast-paced environment? Do you enjoy the challenge of a position where no two days are alike? We are looking for positive, high-energy professionals who are not just looking for a job, but a meaningful career!
At Farmers, our ambition is to be the leader in delivering peace of mind, innovating for customers whenever and wherever they need us. That means having people like you who can help us evolve to meet changing customer and business needs. Continuous development is critical to our success at Farmers; that means being curious, continually innovating, being open to new opportunities and embracing change. As the needs of our business and customers change, and you acquire needed experience, you may have opportunities to use your knowledge and skills in a different role. As you take on these new challenges, Farmers is committed to providing you with the necessary training and support along your career journey.
Workplace: On-site ( ), Hybrid ( ), Remote ( )
Farmers believes in a culture of collaboration, creativity, and innovation, which thrives when we have the ability to work flexibly in a virtual setting as well as the opportunity to be together in person. Our hybrid work environment combines the best of both worlds with at least three (3) days in office and up to two (2) days virtual for employees who live within fifty (50) miles of a Farmers corporate office. Applicants beyond fifty (50) miles may still be considered.Job Summary
Essential Job Functions
- The Principal Data Scientist role will work on Pricing and Product related projects.
- Utilizes expert knowledge to apply advanced analytics and modeling to improve business results.
- Leverages customer information and behavioral data to influence strategic business decisions while using unique, innovative analytics, multi-variate models, machine learning and data mining technologies.
- Leads large projects with broad impact operationalizing business decisions. Works independently even in complex situations.
- Tailor data stories to specific target audiences, taking into account their level of data literacy and unique needs.
- Analyzes data using statistical models and machine learning algorithms.
- Helps business stakeholders develop optimized pricing strategies, assess risks, and predict customer behavior.
- Collaborates with Actuaries, Underwriters, and other stakeholders to create pricing models that balance profitability and competitiveness.
- Partners closely with IT, business, and data management/engineering teams to understand, utilize, and improve our data infrastructure.
- Anticipates problems and advises on uniquely complex matters and serves as an objective and transparent partner throughout the organization to drive fact-based decision making and a measures of success culture.
- Provides strategic direction, project clarity and methodological consultation.
- Delivers results both individually and through mentoring and empowering other team members. Succeeds in specialized projects by scoping, defining measures of success, utilizing a data science vision for project success.
- Exceeds on prescribed and sometimes vague goals and timelines. Executes and/or leads specialized projects independently with a sense of urgency.
- Develops team presentations and presents to all groups and levels of leadership, including executives.
- Regularly communicates complex technical material understandable to non-technical associates.
- Mentors and provides high level guidance to data science team members.
- Provides advanced coaching and knowledge around technical and non-technical skills. Reviews the AI/ML modeling, statistical analy sis, and data analysis completed by lower level Data Scientists, providing coaching and feedback as needed.
- Ensures performance, quality and usage of proper metrics to deliver high quality AI/ML models. Researches existing and emerging data science principles, the ories and techniques to stay updated with new development in AI/ML.
- Utilizes expert knowledge of consumer analytics including retention models, agency economics, and leads optimization in their daily work.
- Utilizes expert knowledge with advanced programing, complex ETL and specialized modeling methods to execute projects and leads the team through examples of effective technical skills.
- Demonstrates clean reusable code and effective documentation, inspires others to do the same.
- The main contributor/owner to/of multiple phases of a data science project (from ideation, EDA, feature engineering, model building, deployment).
- Has a strong sense of ownership and contribute to multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously.
- Manages specialized model deployments via MLOps techniques and may be responsible for the maintenance and support of deployed models.
- Partners closely with analytics and IT teams to deploy models/rules in various platforms.
- Helps to lead the company through MLOps environment improvements.
- This role, whether performed virtually or in an office setting, will include normal and customary distractions, noise, and interruptions. Sits or stands for extended periods of time, up to a full work shift. Occasionally reaches overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping. Occasionally moves, lifts, carries, and places objects and supplies weighing 0-10 pounds without assistance. Listens to, interprets, and differentiates auditory information (example others speaking) at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Visually verifies and reads information. Visually locates material, resources and other objects. Ability to continuously operate a computer for extended periods of time, up to a full work shift. Physical dexterity sufficient to use hands, arms, and shoulders repetitively to operate keyboard and other office equipment up to a full work shift.
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree preferred.
- 10 or more years of related experience required.
- Modeling experience relating to Home and Auto pricing and products highly preferred.
Special Skill Requirement
- Farmers offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, qualifications and location.
- CA Only: $145,440 - $210,700
- CO Only: $136,400 - $181,800
- NY Only: $136,400 - $210,700
- Albany County: $145,440 - $181,800
- WA Only: $145,440 - $243,125
- Bonus Opportunity (based on Company and Individual Performance)
- Health Savings and Flexible Spending Accounts
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Parental Leave
- Tuition Assistance
- For more information, review “What we offer” on https://www.farmers.com/careers/corporate/#offer
Job Location(s): R_US - United States
Want to learn more about our culture & opportunities? Check out www.Farmers.com/careers/corporate and be sure to follow us on Instagram, LinkedIn, and TikTok.