Take a central role
The Bank of Canada has a vision to be “a leading central bank—dynamic, engaged and trusted—committed to a better Canada.” No other employer in the country offers you the unique opportunity to work at the very center of Canada’s economy, in a diverse and inclusive organization with significant impact on the economic and financial well-being of all Canadians. You will be challenged, energized and motivated to excel in an environment where we are reinventing central banking, renewing ways of doing business and reinforcing a culture of innovation.
Find out more about the next steps in our Recruitment process.What you will do
We are looking for a Senior Data Scientist who is enthusiastically driven to generate actionable insights and create new growth opportunities. You have curiosity and the technical skills to follow your curiosity. You must be a self-starter with proven skills to design and lead data experiments, perform advanced statistical modelling and develop data-driven solutions using multiple data sources. This is a unique opportunity to apply your advanced data science skills and have an instrumental role in expanding the Bank’s capabilities in this area – in particular, you will push boundaries of how microdata can be applied toward analysis in the realm of Financial System.
You will be an integral part of the Bank’s wider data science community, helping ensure our economists can access the data and analysis they need to make informed decisions. You must be comfortable leading meetings and able to communicate issues and trends to senior leadership and other groups at the appropriate level of detail. Excellent communication (verbal, written, presentation) and interpersonal skills are fundamental, as well as the ability to communicate well within own team and across organizational boundaries to ensure the successful completion of shared goals.
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will lead data-driven projects, and apply sophisticated analytics techniques at every stage of work, including data extraction, transformation and load, validation, data exploration, design and evaluation of models. You will use big data technologies to leverage structured and unstructured data from a variety of internal and external sources. You have a can-do attitude and will find creative ways to develop tools and services that drive innovation.
- develop, manage, and optimize big data architectures and data pipelines
- apply your in-depth theoretical and practical knowledge in machine learning and artificial intelligence to design, develop and implement new data experiments, predictive models and studies
- use your proven expertise in leveraging the right methodology and tool to obtain meaningful and accurate results
- deliver training to economists on key data science techniques and tools
- provide authoritative advice across the Bank’s departments on data science methodology and tools
- keep current with industry and academic developments in the field
- propose and develop data visualizations to effectively communicate the results of analyses
- play a key role in the Bank’s economic research projects linked to the Financial System
- support the Bank’s development of a broader data science strategy and engagement of third parties
The position will report directly to the Director of Data Science, while working in a matrix environment, responding to priorities from key clients within the Bank.What you need to succeed
We are looking for an experienced Senior Data Scientist who has excellent analytical research and problem-solving skills,
a self-starter and effective communicator who can share and adapt information and ideas to the target audiences, using clear and compelling written and oral communication skills. You must have proven and significant hands-on experience with end-to-end data science life cycle, with superior skills to structure and lead a project from idea to experimentation to prototype to delivery.
You are committed to learning and self-development, are organized, able to set priorities to ensure follow-through and project completion in a timely manner and able to help with research and policy initiatives. You are capable of leading projects and teams to create an environment of continuous learning and open communication.
You have proven experience and expertise in most of the following:
- collecting, organizing and manipulating big data sets, including data wrangling, dimensionality reduction and feature extraction
- big data hands-on experience and big data tools for machine learning (e.g. Spark)
- in-depth knowledge of algorithm design, particularly for data science
- strong scientific programming skills including experience conducting statistical analysis and modelling (e.g., R, Matlab)
- significant object-oriented programming and software development (e.g. Python) and related libraries for data science
- experience in software development in relation to machine learning (ML Ops) and/or knowledge of Dev Ops
- cloud services and SaaS
- data story-telling via visualization tools, dashboards, presentations and reports (e.g. Tableau)
- comfortable with a variety of technology tools (e.g. GitHub, Jira)
Your education and experience
- fully functional in second official language
- knowledge of economics, finance and/or banking
- evidence of strong academic publication and/or industrial innovation
- knowledge and experience with ML Ops, Data Ops, or Dev Ops in general.
What you need to know
- completed Master’s or Ph.D. in a quantitative field such as Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Computational Biology, Computer Engineering, Financial Economics, or other related quantitative discipline; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- significant experience solving problems that require the use of advanced data science and statistical modelling techniques.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.What you can expect from us
- Language requirement: English or French essential
- Priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
- Security level required: Reliability
- Relocation assistance may be provided, if required
- Please save a copy of the job poster. Once the closing date has passed, it will no longer be available.
- In response to the COVID-19 pandemic and further to public health guidelines, preventative measures are being taken to ensure health and safety during the recruitment process. All interviews are conducted via Skype.
This is a great opportunity to join a leading organization and be part of a high-performing team. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet your needs at every stage of your life and career. For more information on key benefits please visit A great deal to consider.
- Salaries are based on qualifications and experience and typically range from $$83,900 to $$104,800 (job grade 17)
- Depending on performance, you may be eligible for performance pay for successfully meeting (7 to 10% of your base salary) or for exceeding expectations (15% of your base salary). Exceptional performers who far exceed expectations may be eligible for higher performance pay.
- Flexible and comprehensive benefits so you can choose the level of health, dental disability and life and/or accident insurance coverage that meets your needs
- Extra vacation days (up to five each year) that you can purchase to add to your vacation entitlement
- Indexed, defined-benefit pension
We strive to make our policies, programs and workplace more inclusive, respectful and barrier-free. We encourage applications from women, Indigenous peoples, veterans, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities and persons of all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities and expressions.