At Drax we are working towards a zero-carbon, sustainable future and you can help make this future a reality.
If you are a strong communicator who is strategic, technical and who values quality, then the Data Scientist position maybe your next best move.So, what will you be doing?
You will further the knowledge base of Drax Group with exploratory and iterative data science programmes.
You will work to solve extraordinarily complex business problems by providing solutions, using advanced data analysis techniques.
You will explore and extract value from internal and external data sets in support of prioritised high-value opportunities for Drax.
You will identify and refine further high value ideas and hypotheses for next iterations of learning, to continuously strengthen data science in Drax.Key Accountabilities Include:
You posses the Following Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Explore and extract maximum value out of Drax data and its wider internal and external systems, including both existing and potential sources of Drax. This will span systems relating to customer and financial management, supply chain and production data.
- Contribute to knowledge base of Drax Data and Data Science, Hub-based Drax Target Architecture and other relevant knowledge bases
- Developing and implement appropriate data science models, and controls that are transferrable and usable by other data science team members, and are therefore well documented and shared
- Comply with up to date data security, privacy (GDPR) and information data governance rules
- Check all models and recommendations against common sense and ethics standards, in order to avoid inherent bias and discrimination, and flag warnings and caveats as needed
- Time-box exploration of topics to test and learn quickly and move on to next hypothesis if progress is slowed, keep to deadlines and flag challenges early
- Produce regular progress reports, explaining progress in clear, concise, and illustrated manner, ready for internal sharing and reporting
- Provide cleaned data to help create new or help amended processes, tools and data science services
- Engage with stakeholders to ensure their buy-in of changes that are being proposed and they understand how to use and monitor new tools, reports and processes.
- Engage with 3rd parties in a manner that complies with all internal policies, collaborating and driving commercial success of all 3rd party engagements
- Spend an agreed amount of time staying abreast of new data science trends, benchmarking reports, conferences and explore these for the benefit of Drax value generation
- Maintaining the relevant Data Science sections on SharePoint
Who is Drax?
- Educated to degree in a numerate discipline or equivalent
- Extensive experience in artificial intelligence and machine learning techniques
- Experience in usage of relevant software packages such as Amazon SageMaker, Tensorflow, Spark, Microsoft Azure and equivalent
- Working knowledge of data science languages such as SQL, PowerShell, R and/or Python
- Ability to use advance analytical techniques in a sensible pragmatic way and understand their limitations and future potential, keeping up to date with current developments
- Ability to develop accurate models from first principles and be able to sense-check outputs (common sense)
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Strong oral and written communication skills in MS Office
- Knowledge of processes from an operational department
- In addition to technical and analytical ability, you need to demonstrate capability in dealing with a wide variety of types of people and ad-hoc projects
- You need to act with quality in mind with the drive to push forward projects to completion
- Taking accountability for areas covered by the Data Science team, monitoring performance, clearly communicating issues, developing and recommending changes where appropriate.
- Ensuring that strong links are maintained between the Drax matrix teams and Data and Data Science Directorate
- Needs to be assertive, and emotionally intelligent, to deal with any potentially conflicting internal agendas
- Honest: We say what we mean and do what we say, we’re genuine and true to our word
- Energised: We’re passionate about our daily activities and have the drive to turn ideas into action; enthusiastic and passionate attitude towards delivering quality end user systems and services to customers
- Achieving: We’re focused on our goals and determined to succeed. Actively seek new or alternative ways and work hard to deliver innovative solutions to help us do things better for the benefit of our Group
- Together: We work collaboratively with our colleagues, customers and stakeholders with a friendly approach and recognise the value each of us brings to achieving our Group vision
- Professional: Demonstrate a professional working attitude across all business units, using the Drax values of working together and achieving to assist in the furthering of business objectives
- Expert: You will be expected to be perceived as subject matter expert and proactively seek opportunities to develop your knowledge and experience
- Driven: Customer focussed, service driven, proactive and highly motivated to drive the delivery of IT projects
- Diligent: Demonstrating a concern for accuracy and an ability to identify key or underlying patterns that could affect present or future service performance
- Welcome change: Strive to make systems, services and processes more efficient
- Flexible: Ability to work to targets in a flexible manner individually or as part of a team