- Join REA, named 4th Best Place to Work for a Second Year in a row
- Support for your mental and physical wellbeing through our You Matter program
- Experience flexible working with our Hybrid Working Policy
An Australian start-up success story we're quietly proud of.
From a garage in Melbourne to the global stage is an achievement we're humbled by. Our idea to put pictures of houses on the internet has blossomed since 1995, and we now have businesses across Australia, India and North America.
Our purpose is to change the way the world experiences property. No matter where you're at on your property journey, we're here to help on every step - whether that's buying, selling, renting or renovating.
Some of our brands include realestate.com.au, realcommercial.com.au, Flatmates.com.au, Proptrack.com, Smartline.com.au and Mortgage Choice.
We’re proud to have been named Australia’s 4th Best Workplace for the second year running. This recognition is a great proof point of our unique and special culture. A culture that is driven by our people, our values, and our commitment to making a difference in the community.What We’re Doing
With us, you’ll experience Belonging,
You’ll be part of our CuPID team helping us deliver exceptional experiences for our Customers.
This Data Engineer role sits within the CuPID Squad, in the Customer 360 tribe, part of the Customer Marketplace Portfolio. The Customer Marketplace focus is on helping our customers grow their business. The Customer 360 tribe are at the heart of our customers’ B2B experience across all our core markets. We are a platform capability and data tribe and we own all customer data and the governance of that data, and ultimately how Customer data extends our Customer Experience.
The tribe build and maintain reusable capabilities and experiences that support our customers’ commercial, lifecycle and product needs. The team also provide internal capability and tooling to support our Sales, Marketing and Customer Operations teams. At the heart of this tribe’s mission is: To know our customers, supporting customers as they do business with REA every day and our data team sits at the heart of this.
The squad’s mission is to transform the way the rest of the business accesses, consumes and draws insignts from our Customer data. The squad is responsible for cleaning up our data, modelling our customer data to represent the real world, create connected customer data and finally make it accessible via the REA Data Platform (BigQuery) for use by any analyst, data science and engineering teams across REA.As a Data Engineer you will contribute towards:
We’re looking for someone with;
- Designing, coding, testing, and deploying data transformations for core datasets relied on by REA teams.
- Maintaining detailed documentation of datasets to be created and maintained.
- Analysing/profiling source data as part of dataset development.
- Building data pipelines using an in-house ETL tool.
- Provide support and training to other analysts and other users of our data.
- Ensure data and reporting integrity adheres to REA data standards and best practices.
- Identify, track, and remediate data quality issues as well as perform exception handling across a broad variety of datasets.
- Analyse and produce data coverage and quality statistics to ensure our data is trustworthy and well understood by external teams.
- Following agile development practices such as test-driven development, continuous delivery and pair programming.
- Sharing responsibility for all operational aspects of the software that we build, in support of our “you build it; you run it” philosophy where dev-ops is a part of everyday life.
- Working with product managers, business stakeholders, delivery leads and data managers to understand requirements, communicate technical options, report on progress and contribute ideas.
- Strong SQL skills, preferably with experience in data management, warehousing, ETL, data quality and/or data visualisation
- Experience in architecting, building, testing and maintaining data platforms
- Experience in data modelling
- Excellent understanding of SQL Programming
- Excellent SQL scripting skills and experience with structured and unstructured data in a variety of formats
- Experience working with ETL/ELT process management testing and data pipeline (ETL tools) development
- Good knowledge of database concepts, schemas and table design
- Good knowledge and working experience with both columnar databases and relational databases
- Working knowledge of data profiling and analytical skills to understand the business knowledge embedded in data
- Working with Google BigQuery
- Knowledge around building modern Data Lakes and Data Marts
- An appreciation of data quality concepts and the importance to reliable and trustworthy data
- Willing to learn new skills in data management and programming
- Able to communicate and collaborate effectively with business stakeholders
- Ability to work productively and autonomously in a fast paced environment
- Good programming skills desirable, e.g. 2+ years’ experience in a mainstream programming language preferably in Ruby, SQL, Scala.
But we don’t just look for someone based on their skills and expertise. It’s our connection, acceptance and genuine care for each other that makes REA a great place to work. That means you also need to be:
- Savvy minded and have curiosity to think a little left of field / outside the box
- A strong and creative communicator
- Friendly, approachable and have good relationship management skills
- An avid contributor to our inclusive culture - we celebrate different perspectives and all play an active role in creating a sense of belonging
The REA experience
The physical, mental, emotional and financial health of our people is something we’ll never stop caring about. This is a place to learn and grow. We’re committed to your development – both professionally and personally. Your experience with us is something we take seriously.
Oh, and by the way:
- A flexible working environment, meaning we strike the balance of what you need and what works for the business (and yes, our leaders fully understand the benefits of working flexibly)
- A hybrid approach to the future of work - https://rea.to/hybrid-working
- Generous and flexible parental leave offering for primary and secondary carers
- Summer Fridays – time back to focus on your wellness every Friday afternoon from December through to March
- Because We Care program which includes volunteer leave and community grants, to ensure you have the opportunity to give back to your community
- Hack Days for you to bring so you can bring your big ideas to life in a supportive learning environment
- An additional day of leave just for your birthday
At REA we value diversity and inclusion in all forms. Gender, religion, ethnicity, LBTGIQ+, neurodiversity and so much more. Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you've got the must-haves, dedication and enthusiasm to learn but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
If you like the sound of us, then we think you should apply today. We're proud to be Circle Back Initiative Employer and we commit to respond to every applicant. While we're looking at your application, and preparing to come back to you with an update, why not get to know us a bit more through our various social channels?