We are currently recruiting for a Data Scientist role for The Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) for a 6-month contract based remotely
The Joint Biosecurity Centre began its initial operating capability on 1 June, as a new Directorate within the Department for Health and Social Care. It brings together the UK’s leading epidemiological expertise and analytical capability to identify outbreaks of COVID-19.
The JBC will work in partnership with Public Health England and build on the existing public health infrastructure across the UK. It will use a broad set of health and non-health data in its analysis and assessment for local, regional and national decision-makers so they can respond rapidly to localised outbreaks of COVID-19.
As Data Scientist, you will:
- Provide independent analysis and assessment to Covid-19 outbreaks;
- Provide Local Authorities, Directors of Public Health (DPH) and the Public Health England network with analysis and assessment to identify the likelihood of infection flare-ups in their areas;
- Compile the evidence base, including area and population context, influencers, early signals, outbreak indicators.
- Perform hypothesis testing and analysis to understand the effectiveness of different interventions;
- Create live dashboards to present data and analysis, including indicating changes in infection rates across the UK;
- Engage with partners in wider government, academia and the private sector to gain access to new data sources and information.
- Python / R experience for Data Science including the core scientific Python (or R equivalent) stack (pandas, numpy, jupyter, matplotlib etc.).
- Worked with cloud-based platforms, such as AWS, Azure.
- Understanding of data manipulation, assessment and explatory analysis.
- Experience with computational statistics tools and / or Machine Learning frameworks such as PyTorch and TensorFlow.
- Data visualisation and dashboarding tools to effectively inform stakeholders and senior decision makers.
- Understanding and following best practises in key areas such as quality assurance, coding standards and version control.
- Seeing data products, projects or services through from initial discovery to mature, successful implementation.
- Identified and applied the most appropriate data science solution to unstructured business problems.
- Communication and Influencing skills
- Experience of Working at Pace
It would be great to also have:
- Understanding impact of non-pharmaceutical Interventions.
- Identification of clusters.
- Describing prevalence to inform policy response.
- Deployment of models, many with close engagement with academic partners
In applying for this role you acknowledge the following; this role falls in scope of the Off Payroll Working in the Public Sector legislation. Any rates of payment quoted will reflect the gross rate per day for the assignment, and will be subject to appropriate taxes and statutory costs. As such the payment to the intermediary and your income resulting from this contract will be different.