This is a hybrid
role based in our Chicago office and will require you to be in office Tuesdays and Thursdays.
What’s so interesting about this role?
The big data space is growing rapidly at Grindr and we’re looking to add a staff-level Data Engineer with chops in cutting edge real-time streaming technologies and ambitions to achieve high quality and reliability with TDD, automation, and continuous delivery. Beyond the data pipeline, you will also be instrumental in bringing the data-driven products and features to life and helping build the future of Grindr.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to work with our product teams, building models and APIs to drive new features, deliver analysis to further improve engagement in existing features, and empower our business with real-time insights to drive growth in market share, engagement, and revenue. We see 1 trillion events per year and process 10TB of data daily.
What’s the job?
- Design, develop and deliver data products to production, complying with internal data governance, security and scalability of our system.
- Solve technical problems of the highest scope and complexity
- Exert significant influence on the company’s analytical long-range goals and data architecture
- Define and extend our internal standards for style, maintenance, and best practices for a high-scale data platform
- Provide mentorship for all on your team to help them grow in their technical responsibilities
- Propose ideas to improve the scale, performance, and capabilities of the Data Platform
- Moving implementation to ownership of real-time and batch processing and data governance and policies.
- Maintain and enforce the business contracts on how data should be represented and stored.
- Stay on top of new technologies through R&D and prototyping to continuously improve our big data architectures and systems to streamline how we deliver value with high quality to our end users
- Implementing ETL processes, moving data between systems including S3, Snowflake, Kafka, and Spark.
- Work closely with our Data Scientists, SREs, and Product Managers to ensure software is high quality and meets user requirements.
What We'll Love About You
- 7+ years of experience working with data at scale, including data engineering, business intelligence, data science, or related field
- 7+ years experience using Python
- Experience using big data technologies (Snowflake, Airflow, Kubernetes, Docker, Helm, Spark, pySpark)
- Significant experience with relational databases and query authoring (SQL) in Snowflake or other distributed Databases
- Experience with agile engineering practices such as TDD, Pair Programming, Continuous Integration, automated testing, and deployment
- Experience with building stream-processing systems, using solutions such as Kafka, Storm or Spark-Streaming
- Experience with dimensional data modeling and schema design in Data Warehouses
- Familiar with ETL (managing high-quality reliable ETL pipelines)
- Be familiar with legal compliance (with data management tools) data classification, and retention
What You'll Love About Us
- Mission and Impact: Grindr is the world-leading LGBTQ social networking service. Your role will impact the lives of millions of LGBTQ people around the world
- Multiple Locations: We currently have offices in LA, NYC, and Chicago, and are hiring someone for this role to be based ideally in Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York City, Chicago, or Nova/Washington DC
- Family Insurance: Insurance premium coverage for health, dental, and vision for you and partial coverage for your dependents
- Retirement Savings: Generous 401K plan with 6% match and immediate vest in the US
- Compensation: Industry-competitive compensation and eligibility for company bonus and equity programs
- Queer-Inclusive Benefits: Industry-leading gender-affirming offerings with up to 90% cost coverage, access to Included Health, monthly stipends for HRT, and more
- Additional Benefits: Flexible vacation policy, monthly stipends for cell phone, internet, wellness, and food, one-time home-office setup stipend, and company-sponsored events
Grindr is the world’s largest dating app for gay, bi, trans, and queer people. With around 13 million monthly active users, Grindr has become a fundamental part of the global LGBTQ community, and we take pride in empowering our users to connect, express themselves, and discover the queer world around them.
Our next evolution is underway as a newly public company looking to expand and continue to build meaningful experiences for our users. From social issues to original content, we’re blazing innovative paths with impact for our community, all while leveraging the latest tech stacks and striving for engineering excellence. At the heart of our work in this new chapter is a shared set of core values: openness and exploration, a bias for action, and strong support of the LGBTQ community.
With a track record of strong financial performance and plans for continued headcount growth, we’re looking to build a team of talented, passionate, and open-minded people who believe in our mission, align with our values, and are excited to work at the intersection of innovative technology and social impact. Come be a part of this exciting journey with us.
Grindr is an equal-opportunity employer
Grindr is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices. This base pay range is for the U.S. and is not applicable to locations outside of the U.S. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs, location, and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role will also be eligible for equity, benefits, and a company bonus program.
Base Pay Range