Company DescriptionAs an Etsy employee, you can do the work you love, be yourself, and make an impact in the lives of millions. Our commitments to diversity and inclusion, team culture and the spaces where we work all reflect our mission to keep commerce human.
Etsy is an international marketplace with 65M+ handmade and vintage items from passionate artists, designers and vintage collectors.
Within the central Data organization, the Experimentation Science team works to make experimentation faster and more robust for Etsy by focusing both on online experimentation and advanced experimentation techniques for machine learning (ML experimentation). We develop self service tools that are being consumed by our Machine Learning, Analytics, Engineering and Product partners.
We are looking for an experienced machine learning engineer who can help build Etsy’s next generation tools for machine learning experimentation.
For candidates who will work remotely from Colorado, visit this link for information related to Colorado's Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
Full-time employees are also eligible for Etsy's bonus program, equity program, and amazing benefits package. See our Careers Page for more details.
What You'll Do:
- Prototype, optimize, and productionize code for ML experimentation using a variety of existing data sources.
- Work closely with engineers to scale ML experimentation solutions across Etsy products, e.g. interleaving, multi-armed bandits, human annotated data, off-policy evaluation etc.
- Work closely with partners to understand their needs for ML experimentation and translate them into practical solutions.
- Collaborate with applied scientists to evaluate the quality and fit of new methodologies in ML experimentation.
- You understand that being an effective engineer is about communicating with people as much as it is about writing code.
- You are willing to work with and improve code you did not originally write.
- You can tackle unconstrained problems and know when to seek help.
- You are flexible with languages and tools and are willing to learn whatever is necessary to get the job done.
- You have experience with object-oriented programming languages: Python, Scala, etc.
- You have experience with machine learning frameworks (like PySpark, Scalding, etc.).
- You have familiarity with machine learning and deep learning solutions across the entire machine learning stack, from data collection to evaluation.
- You have familiarity with a few of the following: writing and scheduling ETL pipelines, writing SQL queries for exploration and analysis, tuning mapreduce jobs and cluster resources, building and monitoring cloud services, stream processing systems like Kafka Streams, Spark, or Dataflow.
- You have strong verbal and written communication skills.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.