Surprise.com is on a mission to help people make a positive impact on themselves, their teams, and their communities. Our flagship product, Surprise for Teams™, is the world’s first and only SuccessOS™. Surprise for Teams makes it fun and irresistible to perform better, which creates a positive, long-lasting impact on people and their organizations.
We are looking for an experienced and motivated Sr. Data Engineer to join our team in the US (Minnesota preferred) and help optimize our data management and analytics. You'll help to lead a globally diverse team of data engineers and analysts, providing guidance on best practices and tough problems. You will use various methods to transform raw data into useful and usable systems, striving for efficiency by aligning data systems with business goals.
If you're ready to make a big impact in a high-growth environment, then we want to hear from you!
What will you be doing?
- Leading a team of data engineers and analysts;
- Analyzing and organizing raw data;
- Building data systems and pipelines;
- Evaluating business needs and objectives;
- Interpreting trends and patterns;
- Conducting complex data analysis and reporting on results;
- Building algorithms and prototypes;
- Identifying opportunities for data acquisition;
- Collaborating with data scientists and architects on several projects;
- Collaborating with engineers to improve data availability, integrity, accuracy, and reliability;
- Presenting findings to senior management to drive business decisions;
- Turning raw data into actionable insights and translating complex ideas into simple data stories.
What are we looking for?
- 5+ years of experience as a Data Engineer or in a similar role;
- Experience with data modeling, data warehousing, and building ETL pipelines;
- Experience in SQL;
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a quantitative/technical field (e.g. Computer Science, Statistics, Engineering);
- 5+ years of relevant experience in one of the following areas: Data engineering, database engineering, business intelligence or business analytics;
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in writing complex, highly-optimized SQL queries across large data sets;
- 5+ years of experience in scripting languages like Python, Scala, etc.;
- Demonstrated strength in data modeling, ETL development, and Data warehousing. Data Warehousing;
- Experience with Redshift, Oracle, NoSQL etc.;
- Experience with Big Data Technologies (Hadoop, Hive, Hbase, Pig, Spark, etc.);
- Experience in working and delivering end-to-end projects independently;
- Knowledge of distributed systems as it pertains to data storage and computing.
What skills come in handy?
- Masters in computer science, mathematics, statistics, economics, or other quantitative field;
- Experience providing technical leadership and mentoring other engineers for best practices on data engineering;
- Knowledge of software engineering best practices across the development lifecycle, including agile methodologies, coding standards, code reviews, source management, build processes, testing, and operations;
- Proven success in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe data modeling decisions and data engineering strategy;
- Familiarity with statistical models and data mining algorithms;
- Being an analytical and creative thinker who can approach problems from a first-principles-based framework;
- A vested interest in Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence.
At Surprise.com, we’re committed to hiring builders who are inspired by our team’s guiding principle: to derive a tremendous sense of purpose from the inner quest for excellence itself, being driven from within to make anything we touch be the best it can be. We take pride in developing deep user understanding, obsess about the details, and go the extra mile to show our users we love them. We are first and foremost customer-driven – engineering, product and design collaborate as equals to create a phenomenal end-user experience.
- A team of extraordinary people, working hard to better themselves and further our mission;
- Competitive comp and equity;
- And, of course, we get Surprises internally.