The Alliance for Securing Democracy (ASD), a nonpartisan initiative housed at the German Marshall Fund of the United States, develops comprehensive strategies to deter, defend against, and raise the costs on autocratic efforts to undermine and interfere in democratic institutions. ASD brings together experts on disinformation, malign finance, emerging technologies, elections integrity, economic coercion, and cybersecurity, as well as Russia, China, and the Middle East, to collaborate across traditional stovepipes and develop cross-cutting frameworks.
The Data Analyst will interface with and create data pipelines to ingest, process, and manage the massive amounts of data that are generated and leveraged for ASD’s cutting-edge disinformation and state-sponsored propaganda tracking tools, including the Hamilton 2.0 dashboard. The Data Analyst will possess a deep understanding of SQL and related database technologies, and will work directly with the analytical and product leadership teams to ideate, create, manage, and extend the capabilities of the Hamilton 2.0 dashboard, election monitoring dashboards, and other data-driven projects and tools. The position will help manage processes for annotating and ingesting data into the Hamilton 2.0 and election dashboards, and will help to ensure that the system performs reliably and with low latency. Finally, the Data Analyst will lead the creation of additional data products and work closely with leading vendors and disinformation fellows to implement new and novel features for understanding and analyzing the publicly available information manipulation landscape.
Essential Duties/Responsibilities (in order of importance):
- Participate in the development of all aspects of Hamilton 2.0 and other dashboard solutions, including data processing and api querying, as well as assisting developers with front end applications and other intelligence tools.
- Deliver production ready SQL code for business intelligence tools and infrastructure using a modern data infrastructure stack.
- Expected skills can include: backend programming language (python, node.js, etc.) and SQL
- Launch, manage, and create fully orchestrated and deployed data processing and data lake systems, leveraging the Microsoft Power BI suite of tools.
- Help design, create, and manage the database infrastructure for Hamilton 2.0.
- Create systems for integrating directly with Hamilton 2.0’s data sources and vendors.
- Participate in code-review and actively maintain and take an interest in bettering the quality of the production code and software infrastructure of ASD’s analytic tools.
- Work closely with the Information Manipulation Team Lead and across ASD’s team to ensure that the technical design and aspects of the system meet business and product needs.
- Launch and test deployed code in a production business environment.
Additional Duties/Responsibilities (in order of importance):
- Liaise with vendors, external partners, and other industry professionals to create and develop innovative new tools to expose online manipulation efforts
- Lead technical development on other ASD projects, and actively engage in the strategy and direction of the Information Manipulation Team.
- Help define and craft the culture and vision ASD’s tech tools
- The position will require significant engagement across the Information Manipulation Team and ASD’s team, as well as with outside contractors and partners
Autonomy and Responsibility:
- The Data Analyst will be ASD’s primary technical expert. It will require autonomy to drive projects forward, develop solutions to the various problems that arise with ASD’s existing tools, and propose ideas for the future of ASD’s tech tools
Knowledge and Skills Needed:
- Substantial experience in some scripting language (Python preferred)
- Substantial database design and management experience
- Experience developing applications in PowerBI is a plus
- Interest in state-backed information operations and social media manipulation
- Knowledge of network mapping and social media monitoring tools
- Strong interpersonal skills, hard-working, collaborative, and able to multitask
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent technical degree
- 1+ years of experience in database design and data analytics
- 1+ years of experience working directly with clients in designing and developing solutions to meet stringent performance requirements.