When you join Verizon
Verizon is a leading provider of technology, communications, information and entertainment products, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We're a diverse network of people driven by our ambition and united in our shared purpose to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward - and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
At Verizon, we are on a multi-year journey to industrialize our data practices and AI capabilities. Very simply, this means that AI and data will fuel all decisions and business processes across the company. At 30B+ dollars in annual revenue, this is a pioneering opportunity to build the data products and talent at a top global telco organization. With our leadership in bringing 5G networks nationwide, the opportunity for AI and Data will only grow exponentially in going from enabling new revenue opportunities and exquisite customer experience through real-time data insights. Therefore, it will be critical that this candidate possess previous experience with leading large engineering teams and AI efforts, attracting and retaining top talent, and building a team and culture that promotes curiosity and collaborations with a strong commitment to creating value for Verizon’s customers, employees, stakeholders and the society.
The Senior GCP Data Engineer role is a blend of advanced analytics, strategy and leadership within AI&D organization responsible for developing and driving the execution of strategies to streamline the data acquisition i.e. collecting the data from transaction systems (GTS, GNT and 3rd party vendors) and storing the data into data warehouses, data lakes and public/private cloud platforms. Guide management, partner with cross-functional teams and leadership communication will be critical to success in this role. You will be required to be SME in your focused area by acting as a teacher, mentor and guide to peers and colleagues.
- Partner with internal business partners in gathering business requirements and developing data engineering pipelines.
- Strategic thinker with ability to apply business mindset to data issues and initiatives, craft cross-business strategies and plans for multiple stakeholders.
- Participation in technology and industry forums on evolving data engineering, Data Science/ ML engineering/Ops practices to deploy new ML solutions.
- Active engagement with AI&D data engineering teams to bring synergies, align strategy and best practices and contribute to the capability roadmaps for data platforms.
- Prepare presentation materials and formal documents for use with senior management to promote findings and drive discussions.
- Responsible for leading network data engineering from data sourcing, ingestion, and exposing the data for AI/ML model development, curation and data productization.
- Responsible for monitoring the code and overall application to ensure seamless performance.
- Design and develop platform standards, common reference architecture and data governance policies, perform vendor/tool comparisons and present recommendations.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Three or more years of experience with GCP.
Even better if you have:
- Bachelor’s or Master's degree in quantitative and/or technology disciplines such as Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science or Engineering.
- Programming experience in GCP Dataproc, GCS, Cloud functions, BigQuery and building data pipelines in Nifi/Airflow in GCP for ETL related jobs.
- Experience collaborating with data engineers, architects, data scientists and enterprise platform team in designing and deploying data products and ML models in production.
- Experience designing and deployment of Hadoop cluster and different big data analytical tools including HDFS, PIG, Hive, Sqoop, Spark, Oozie.
- Experience in developing, managing cloud implementations, upgrades, migrations (on-prem to cloud) and change requests on client cloud environments.
- Fluent understanding of best practices for building Data Lake and analytical architectures on Hadoop, Teradata and public cloud infrastructure.
- Experience in enabling AI/ML model development, data curation and developing data products.
- Experience with Model Lifecycle management and governance experience to drive best-in-class data driven decisions.
- Strong ability to apply business mindset to data issues and initiatives.
- Ability to integrate cross-business strategies and manage enterprise-wide resources.
- Expertise in designing and deployment of Hadoop cluster and different Big Data analytic tools including Pig, Hive, SQOOP, Apache Spark with Cloudera Distribution.
- Experience in Google Data catalog and other google cloud APIs for monitoring, querying and billing related analysis for Big Query usage.
- Strong communication, executive presentation and influencing skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.