POSITION TITLE: DATA ENGINEER I
Supervised by: Data Engineer III- Team Lead
FLSA Status: Full-time, Exempt
Location: HQ in Brecksville, OH; this position can be remote / home - based
The Data Engineer I has the responsibility to provide various database extracts of discrete and non-discrete data, documents, images, and other file types from various legacy applications or provides for the conversion of the data for load into a new HIS. The Data Engineer will perform data analysis (Forensics) on extracted files as well as conversion of files or images as needed for load into secondary systems including DataArk. In addition, the DE will develop text reports from discrete data using system templates or blob data for load.
JOB DUTIES and ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS. A qualified individual must be able to perform these essential functions of the job as listed, with or without accommodation. (An Asterisk (*) Identifies an Essential Function).
- Extract, Mapping, and Conversions. (*) – Performs data extraction, mapping as needed, and investigative duties on different database platforms resulting in improved data management process and accuracy of delivered product.
- Extensive knowledge with ETL software to extract data from various database structures and non-database files.
- The ability to QA self-work to ensure accurate and reliable data is ready to load in the MediQuant application.
- Experience integrating and analyzing data as well as designing, tuning, and developing Microsoft SQL with the ability to dive deep into the data and us critical thinking to discover potential problems and provide solutions.
- Network and Server configurations. (*) - General knowledge of networking, VPNs, servers, and security to ensure data integrity and protection against data breach or exposure.
- Troubleshooting and Problem Solving. (*) – Uses critical thinking skills to Identify problems and proactively intervene to mitigate negative impacts to projects.
- Incorporates testing and reliability as a natural part of the data delivering.
- Strong data analysis skills (debugging data anomalies).
- Foresees issues and requirements for project scope.
- Able to work collaboratively with cross teams to innovate and find solutions to complex issues.
- Provide documentation for issues and “lessons learned” to avoid repeating
- Applies technical knowledge and seeks to fully understand the client’s expectations by asking questions.
- Liaise with application developers, PMO, IT, or other sources to create tools needed to streamline workflows
- Organization and Time Management. (*) – Handles multiple projects and tasks and prioritizes identified deadlines to ensure timely delivery of work product.
- Identifies and utilizes all resources available when priorities conflict or when external challenges are lining up against the deadline. Must be able to clearly communicate the issues to the project Manager and Team Lead.
- Handles a fluctuating workload and can prioritize during times of peak demand and conflicting priorities. Knows when to seek assistance to ensure deadlines are met and quality is delivered.
- Self-starter with initiative and ability to work independently or on a team
- Completes daily time entry against assigned projects for tracking
- Technical Capability
- Customer/Client Focus (Internal and External)
- Time Management
- Scope Management
- Problem Solving/Analytical
- Critical Thinking
- Collaboration Skills
- Communication Proficiency
Required Education and Experience
- Associates degree in computer science, computer engineering, software engineering. Will consider a high school diploma with 3-5 years equivalent experience with a proven track record of achieved goals in lieu of an Associates’ degree.
- 3-5 years of SQL experience or other query languages
- Extensive knowledge of various programming languages to create programs for data manipulations, i.e., C#, Python and SQL
- Database management, data analysis, data science experience
- 1- 3 years’ experience in Healthcare IT or clinical environments
- Working knowledge of various hospital legacy application platforms and associated workflow
- Above average written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate complex ideas to various teams and levels.
- Excellent organizational and documentation skills.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Successfully able to follow MediQuant standards with HIPAA regulations involving PHI and HITECH
- 1-3 years of ETL experience in a healthcare environment
- 1 year of clinical classification systems and clinical vocabularies and nomenclature, such as CPT, HL7, ICD-10, LOINC, RxNorm, and SNOWMED-CT
Other Duties. Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Work Authorization/Security Clearance. In compliance with Federal employment laws, MediQuant will verify the identity and employment authorization of each person hired.
AAP/EEO Statement. MediQuant, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Work Environment. This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. While performing some duties of this job, the employee is exposed to dust or other airborne particles. The noise level on the job site is typical of an office environment.
Physical Demands. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit for long periods of time, stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work. This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are typically Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Some flexibility in hours is allowed, but the employee must be available during the “core” work hours of 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and must work 40 hours each week to maintain full-time status. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Travel. Incumbent may occasionally experience some out-of-the-area and overnight travel.