At Booking.com, data drives our decisions. Technology is at our core. And innovation is everywhere. But our company is more than datasets, lines of code or A/B tests. We’re the thrill of the first night in a new place. The excitement of the next morning. The friends you make. The journeys you take. The sights you see. And the food you sample. Through our products, partners and people, we can empower everyone to experience the world.
We’re a truly global e-commerce company, with business operations in nearly every country and city on the planet. And we want to make it easy for everyone, anywhere in the world, to pay for their travel or do business with our platform – whenever and however it’s convenient for them.
Our brand new FinTech business unit – with teams in London, Amsterdam and Shanghai – develops new products and drives innovation to help us continue removing financial friction from the travel process. That makes buying and selling travel-related products and services simpler for both travelers and partners.
Within the DataScience & Analytics team you will lead the development and on-going maintenance of all data infrastructure and pipelines needed to enable the business and operational intelligence capabilities for the FinTech organization at Booking.com. Partnering with upstream data engineers and data providers this role will provide an exciting opportunity to build the business critical infrastructure that enables all operational and business monitoring/analytics, and Machine Learning models. B.responsible
As a Data Engineer, you are responsible for the development, performance, quality, and scaling of our data pipelines, with a special focus on data quality. You will work independently and also will be responsible for making technical decisions within a team.
Important Aspects Of The Job Include:
- Rapidly developing next-generation scalable, flexible, and high-performance data pipelines;
- Solving issues with data and data pipelines, prioritizing based on customer impact, and building solutions that prevent them from happening again (root cause);
- End-to-end ownership of data quality in our core datasets and data pipelines;
- Experimenting with new tools and technologies to meet business requirements regarding performance, scaling, and data quality;
- Providing tools that enhance Data Quality;
- Developing integrations between multiple applications and services, both on premise and in the cloud;
- Contributing to self-organizing tools that help the analytics community discover data, assess quality, explore usage, and find peers with relevant expertise;
- Building effective monitoring of data, and jumping in to handle outages.
We are looking for driven Data Engineers who enjoy solving problems, who initiate solutions and discussions, and who believe that any challenge can be scaled with the right mindset and tools.
Software Systems Design
- Evaluate possible architecture solutions by taking into account cost, business requirements, technology requirements and emerging technologies
- Describe the implications of changing an existing system or adding a new system to a specific area, by having a broad, high-level understanding of the infrastructure and architecture of our systems
- Help grow the business and/or accelerate software development by applying engineering techniques (e.g. prototyping, spiking and vendor evaluation) and standards
- Meet business needs by designing solutions that meet current requirements and are adaptable for future enhancements
- Find solutions to difficult or complex issues by applying different skills and techniques like analytical thinking, lateral thinking, and logical reasoning
- Constructively improve existing ideas, plans and solutions by reviewing them in a critical yet constructive manner, initiating concrete improvements and articulating their rationale
- Continuous Quality and Process Improvement
- Identify opportunities for process, system and/or structural improvements, by applying an understanding of process flows and the methods that can be used to boost effectiveness and efficiency
End to End System Ownership
- Own a service end to end by actively monitoring application health and performance, setting and monitoring relevant metrics and act accordingly when violated
- Reduce business continuity risks and bus factor by applying state-of-the-art practices and tools, and writing the appropriate documentation such as runbooks and OpDocs
- Reduce risk and obtain customer feedback by using continuous delivery and experimentation frameworks
- Independently manage an application or service by working through deployment and operations in production
- Deliver clear, well-structured, and meaningful information to a target audience by using suitable communication mediums and language tailored to the audience
- Achieve mutually agreeable solutions by staying adaptable, communicating ideas in clear coherent language and practising active listening
- Ask relevant (follow-up) questions to properly engage with the speaker and really understand what they are saying, by applying listening and reflection techniques
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in the field, using 1 or more server-side programming languages - preferably Java, Python or Perl
- Experience with creating and monitoring workflows
- Experience with building data pipelines in distributed environments with technologies such as Hadoop, Cassandra, Kafka, MySQL, etc. Spark, HBase is a plus.
- Demonstrable experience with SQL, HQL, CQL, etc.
- Hands-on experience of developing in and contributing to open-source data technologies, such as Hadoop
- Experience in working on systems on a large scale
- Good understanding of basic analytics and machine learning concepts
- Preferably a university degree in Mathematics or Software Engineering
- Good communication, written and spoken
- An opportunity to contribute to a high scale, complex, world-renowned product, and seeing the real-time impact of your work on millions of travelers worldwide
- Be part of a truly international fast-paced environment and performance-driven culture
- Various opportunities to grow technically and personally via side projects, hackathons, conferences, and your involvement in the community
- A performance-based company that offers 29 vacation days, career advancement, and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential
- Discount on Booking.com accommodations with the “Booking Deal” including other perks and benefits