The Data Science team is establishing the ground floor for advanced Data Science and AI enabled financial interactions and transactions. In this role, you will provide intelligence to financial data to improve financial inclusion, data security, and consumer choice. You will interact with Mastercard Data & Services, Product teams and with Finicity, a leading financial data access company acquired by Mastercard in the US.
Open Banking is a worldwide phenomenon, gathering pace over the recent years and set to transform many aspects of retail financial services. There are several markets already live with various forms of open banking offerings (e.g. EEA with PSD2, or US by market driven initiatives). In other markets, open banking is at various stages of development, yet is already seeing plenty of attention from established players as well as new entrants.
Mastercard have built an initial suite of Open Banking Solutions and are now in the process of bringing them to market, commercialising and enhancing them. See www.mastercard.com/openbanking. Over the last few years we have established a large, cross-functional team that is focusing on product design and delivery. Most recently, we also completed acquisition of Finicity – a leading US open banking data aggregation and analytics company.
This new role is pivotal in enabling Mastercard to grow its value-add footprint in Europe, more specifically in the application of Open Data for credit and affordability analysis. In the process, the individual will work closely with, and where appropriate influence/persuade:
- Data Science and Data Strategy colleagues and peers across the Mastercard organisation.
- Product and Strategy leads focusing on scoping the business requirements aspect of the Open Banking rollout
- Various technology teams that are responsible for building and maintaining data science models in live and non-live environments.
- Regional Sales teams to provide technical insight and support during the sales cycle
- Legal, Compliance and Data Protection functions, ensuring that data science conform with European and country specific laws/regulations/guidelines.
Role is expected to require some travel to customer engagements, events etc. (<20%)
- Work with the wider data science team on creating, refining, and releasing data models focusing on the application of Open Data to credit and affordability assessment.
- Design and implement manual and machine learning models for several financial applications including but not limited to: Transaction Classification, Temporal Analysis, Risk/Affordability modelling.
- Measure and validate performance of models.
- Implement models across test and production environments.
- Monitor and improve model performance.
- Analyse massive amounts of data to provide insights
- Work with clients on data categorisation or model proving exercises
- Propose creative solutions to existing business challenges.
- Present findings to business leaders internally and to clients.
- Leverage best practices in machine learning and data engineering to develop scalable solutions.
All About You
- Skills and experience required for this role are:
- Experience in credit reference, banking, payments or FinTech sectors.
- Good knowledge of Open Banking or similar API led infrastructures.
- A track record of designing, refining and operating data science models
- Engaging with customers and clients both internal and external
- Managing a group of data scientists both locally and located across various country sites.
- Deep understanding of the design approaches and technologies utilized in your area
- Focus on the customer experience, the build and delivery processes and the problems to be solved
- Align dependent organizations and remove/mitigate all blocking issues
- Write documentation as required
- Work across teams to optimize processes
- Regularly review metrics and proactively seek out new and improved data/mechanisms for ensuring data models remain high quality.
- Master's Degree or higher in Computer Science, Data Science, Econometrics, Mathematics, Statistics, or similar field of study required.
- Commercial machine/deep learning and modelling experience. Combinations of Software/Data Engineering may be considered with sufficient ML experience.
- Strong understanding of statistical modelling, visualization, and advanced data science techniques/methods.
- Focus on interpretation and validation of results.
- Mid-senior level Python coding experience required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills on technical & non-technical topics.
- Software development, data science or data engineering programming is highly desired.
- Exposure to financial transactional data, risk evaluation and credit risk modelling is a plus.
- Experience with Natural Language Processing is a plus.
- SQL / Database experience is preferred
- Experience with Kubernetes, Containers, Docker, REST APIs, Event Streams, or other delivery mechanism.
- Experience in applying a wide range of machine learning algorithms to real life problems.
- Familiarity with relevant technologies (e.g. Tensorflow, Python, Sklearn, Pandas, etc.).
- Strong ability to interpret, analyse and visualize large amounts of data.
- Strong desire to collaborate and ability to come up with creative solutions.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Willingness to learn new tools and flexibility to adapt.
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact email@example.com and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
Every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security. All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and therefore, it is expected that the successful candidate for this position must:
• Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
• Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
• Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
• Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.