Mid-Level Data ScientistReports to:
Senior Data ScientistDepartment:
Consumer & StrategyLocation:
The Data Science team builds machine learning products that have made Channel 4 better to watch and make millions each year. We work with big and varied datasets (billions of views, millions of users, natural language subtitles, and video) with modern tools (Python, Spark, AWS), on problems ranging from recommendations to clustering to NLP to image classification.
We have received multiple awards for our innovative use of AI, our amazing Data Driven products and as the best Data Science team at the DataIQ awards 2019, Biggies 2018, MediaTel Research Awards 2018 and many more in the past years.JOB PURPOSE
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- You’ll be working across our many streams of work, using your coding, statistics and ML skills to build data products with a range of applications, including:
- Segmenting customers.
- Forecasting viewing for both Linear and VOD platforms.
- Personalising our products for our customers.
- Optimising our customer engagement strategy.
- Helping to mentor more junior data scientists and will play an active role in defining how we develop the team as we go forward.
- Presenting our work, and to see the impact it has on the business and on millions of viewers.
- Experience building statistical models of, and performing inference on, real world processes.
- The ability to apply machine learning to a variety of problems.
- You know Python and care about code quality.
- Familiar with SQL, Spark, or other tools for wrangling large datasets.
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- You are enthusiastic; and have a growth mindset and a get things done attitude.
- You are an innovator.
- You are happy to take responsibility and be accountable for your decisions.
- You want to help others around you develop and succeed.
- You communicate well, in both speech and writing.
- You are comfortable using version control (Git).
- You have experience in the end to end delivery of data science products.
- Experience using AWS tools (S3, EC2, EMR).
- Prior experience in the media industry.