Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. From our company's inception building the TASER device to a full suite of hardware and software solutions, we are focused on providing police agencies with the state-of-the-art devices and services they need to successfully serve and protect us. In the next few years, we're going to eliminate the burden of paperwork in policing, so officers can increase the time they spend building relationships and serving in their communities. We’ll put video at the heart of the police record so our justice system can get to the truth faster. And we won't stop innovating until the bullet is rendered obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.Your Impact
You will report directly to Axon’s SVP of AI and be a critical member of the AI Leadership team. You will be responsible for architecting, designing and delivering machine learning systems and platforms that harness Axon’s vast and growing network of sensors, signals, and data to provide measurably differentiated outcomes for our public safety customers and the communities they serve.
As a Sr. Principal Engineer, you will collaborate with product management, science and engineering stakeholders to identify key strategic machine learning platform opportunities for Axon AI to invest in. You will identify the right architecture to meet the requirements, assess the implementation risk and define the success metrics for multiple projects while actively providing guidance to other machine learning platform engineers within the team. You will design scalable systems and workflows to scale the entire machine learning life cycle from initial experimentation by AI Scientist to deployment and continuous monitoring/training of deployed models.
The ideal candidate will have a proven software engineering and scalable distributed systems architectural background as well as a consistent track record of success with hands-on execution and demonstrated ability to guide machine learning engineering teams. We need someone willing to be fearless and more than willing to take on bold challenges. By accelerating adoption of our technologies, you'll help protect life in public safety for both officers and the communities they serve around the world.
- Operate as a thought leader and visionary, with the ability to guide, influence and inspire peak performance, innovation and adoption of the latest engineering practices to enable AI technologies across the Axon value chain .
- Mentor and provide guidance to a world-class team of machine learning engineers that deliver novel, strategic AI-enabled solutions with diverse, industry-leading skills in distributed machine Learning training workflows, edge AI, data engineering and tools both in the cloud and on-device.
- Collaborate with science, tech and product teams on defining, architecting and building data ingestion systems and model training pipelines from experimentation to deployment, monitoring and continuous performance improvement.
- Bring your industry expertise to challenge existing assumptions and introduce new distributed system architectures including high-throughput machine learning training pipelines and low-latency model hosting technologies
- Lead by example by emphasizing collaborative and inclusive teamwork fostering a culture of ownership, experimentation, and innovation
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, Mathematics or an equivalent highly technical field
- 7+ years of software engineering experience and a proven track record of successfully architecting and building highly available, low latency systems for high traffic applications
- Fluency in Scala (or Java) as well as prior experience working with machine learning workflows in python
- Designed and built multiple complex, scalable, high throughput, low latency streaming/batch processing machine learning pipelines for both data and algorithm execution
- Advanced knowledge and hands-on experience with major cloud environments (such as AWS, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud)
- Excellent problem solving skills and ability to dive into system architecture, design, performance metrics, code, test plans, project plans, deployments and operations
- Comfort communicating and interacting with scientists, engineers and product managers
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, Mathematics or an equivalent highly technical field
- 9+ years of software engineering experience building and shipping data science and AI enabled products
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with machine learning platforms from major providers (such as AWS, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud)
- Familiarity with IoT/Edge AI and optimizing ML pipelines to run on-device with constrained compute, power and latency budgets
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary and 401k with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- Robust parental leave policy
- An award-winning office/working environment
- Ride along with police officers to see them use our technology and get inspired
- And more...
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.