Stem provides clean energy solutions and services designed to maximize the economic, environmental, and resiliency value of energy assets and portfolios. Stem’s leading AI-driven enterprise software platform, Athena®, enables organizations to deploy and unlock value from clean energy assets at scale. Powerful applications, including AlsoEnergy’s PowerTrack, simplify and optimize asset management and connect an ecosystem of owners, developers, assets, and markets. Stem also offers integrated partner solutions to help improve returns across energy projects, including storage, solar, and EV fleet charging. For more information, visit www.stem.com.
Stem’s culture embodies diversity & inclusion beyond the traditional facets of gender, ethnicity, age, disabilities, and sexual orientation to include experience, personality, communication, workstyles, and more. At our core, Stem is at the momentous intersection of clean energy and software technology where diverse ideas, experiences, and professional skills converge to make the inclusive culture we have today. Together, we are turning old school thoughts about software and energy into progressive, collaborative, and innovative solutions. By joining our team, you will be collaborating with data scientists, energy experts, skilled salespeople, thought-leading executives and more from a range of backgrounds. This intersection of ideas, beliefs, and skills is what makes us unique enough to lead the world’s largest network of digitally connected energy storage systems.Job Summary
This data scientist role is an exciting opportunity to quantify, visualize, explain, and alter the performance of the Athena platform. As a part of Stem’s optimization and controls
team, this role will lead the analytic investigations that resolve ﬂeet issues pertaining to optimization-driven services and applications at Stem. They will work with cross-functional stakeholders and SMEs to ensure on-time and high-quality resolution of ﬂeet issues in behind-the-meter and front-of-the-meter solar and energy storage operations. This individual will report to the Senior Manager, Optimization and Controls.Responsibilities
- Lead efforts to accurately triage data science related ﬂeet issues, meeting response time goals
- Leverage controls, optimization, data science, and software platform technical background to deep dive into root cause analysis, propose & implement containment and corrective actions
- Proactively identify, diagnose, and implement corrective actions before customer escalations.
- Liaison with various operations teams to propose and establish measures to prevent known failure modes in future
- Deﬁne and establish processes, based on lean principles, to streamline production issue resolution
- Work with the optimization and controls team to provide tuned optimization and controls parameters and support provisioning and monitoring of ﬁrst-of-its-kind sites to ensure that the new products/features meet expectations
- Deﬁne and establish metrics to track ﬂeet performance of newly released features and work closely with data operations and programs teams to monitor early trends
- Work as a member of the Data Science team to create and maintain knowledge base articles and conduct training sessions for the organization
- Build tools and analytics for Level Two triaging that integrates directly with Stem’s operational software products, in partnership with the software development team
- Create customer value by contributing to the roadmap for the reduction of cost of poor quality (CoPQ) and improving performance, in partnership with the performance and product team.
- Foster a strong technical culture characterized by high-quality implementations, effective organizational communication, decisiveness, and speed, constructive conﬂict resolution, and a can-do mentality.
- Establish effective and collaborative cross-functional working relationships with peers, developers, and operations teams.
Salary and benefits:
- 8+ years’ experience in delivering industry-leading software and data science products.
- 8+ years’ experience in investigating complex systems operations, providing technical resolutions, and establishing processes for production issues.
- Prior experience delivering production-grade software in a test-driven environment with a dev-ops mentality.
- Prior work with cross-functional teams, including developers, engineers, architects, quality assurance, and operations.
- Experience working in an Agile engineering organization.
- Expert knowledge of Python
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes and microservices architecture
- Experience with linear and mixed integer linear programming techniques
- Experience with optimization solvers and libraries like Gurobi, CPLEX, cvxpy, pyomo etc.
- Experience with cloud technologies– AWS preferred
- Test-driven development: Unit tests, CITs, SITs
- Experience with CICD tools such as Jenkins, CircleCI, TravisCI, and Argo CD.
- Experience with BI and visualization tools such as Tableau, Jupyter
- Application areas: Wholesale power market participation and energy asset portfolio optimization, preferably using battery and solar PV systems, and energy asset portfolio optimization behind-the-meter subject to retail tariff and aggregation level operational constraints.
- Electric power industry domain experience with demonstrated understanding of renewable energy, power systems, wholesale power markets, retail tariff structures, and Smart Grid technologies.
- Expert knowledge of energy system operational optimization.
- Understand value streams, topologies, incentives, and constraints applicable to battery storage systems operating at commercial and industrial scale sites, utility-scale power plants, microgrids, EV charging stations, etc.
- Power user of JIRA, Conﬂuence
- Experience with algorithm ops: Validation, simulation and deployment pipeline
- Master’s degree in engineering, Sciences
- 2 years of experience as a technical contributor and/or ﬂeet analyst working on energy systems optimization products.
- Extraordinary communication skills, and able to present on complex technical topics to non-technical audiences.
- Experience in high-quality companies known for excellence in engineering is highly desirable.
- Intellectually curious: You’re interested in understanding and experimenting with new cutting-edge technologies. You want to dive deep into technical matters and can hold your own in discussions with engineers.
- Decisiveness: You gather the data and make informed, critical decisions quickly.
- Experience in full life cycle agile engineering practices ranging from concept, design, development, and QA to continuous release and maintenance.
- An entrepreneurial spirit with an ability to operate successfully in a high-growth company environment.
- A positive, energetic, can-do attitude: You’re driven to succeed, achievement-oriented, and self-motivated with high integrity, principles, and ethics.
As per market standardEmployment type:
Stem, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, pregnancy, religion, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, disability, genetic information, military status, protected veteran status or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.