- Develop your career and skills in Data Engineering
- Work from the office or from home in a rhythm that suits you
- Make an impact working with the latest tech
An Australian start-up success story we're quietly proud of.
From a garage in Melbourne to the global stage is an achievement we're humbled by. Our idea to put pictures of houses on the internet has blossomed since 1995, and we now have businesses across Australia, India and North America.
Our purpose is to change the way the world experiences property. No matter where you're at on your property journey, we're here to help on every step - whether that's buying, selling, renting or renovating.
Some of our brands include realestate.com.au, realcommercial.com.au, Flatmates.com.au, Proptrack.com, Smartline.com.au and Mortgage Choice.
We're proud to be named in Australia's Top 5 Best Workplaces two years in a row. This recognition is a great proof point of our unique and special culture. A culture that is driven by our people, our values, and our commitment to making a difference in the community.What We’re Doing
With us, you’ll experience Innovation.
This role sits in the SPARC squad in the Data Services Tribe within the Technology and Data Group.
The Data Services Tribe supports and develops data flows, data storage and property listings which underpin REA’s revenue and product growth.
We are the engine room of REA. Our mission is to:
- Improve the quality, access and usage of our data for consumers, and customers.
- Build reusable data products and patterns that unlock value stored in our data
- Create unique insights based on user, listings and customer data
- Invest in the reliability, quality and security of systems and data
This position plays a pivotal role in helping REA to become the market leader in property data and supporting REA’s OKR’s to be the #1 source of property Insights for Consumers, Customers and the Media.
SPARC ensures REA’s core data is consistent, reliable, accessible, secure and will enable the retirement of legacy data warehouses, data lakes and bespoke data engineering systems.What The Role Is All About
As a Data Engineer you will support the SPARC Squad in the following ways:
Who We’re Looking For
- Designing, coding, testing, and deploying data transformations for core datasets relied on by REA teams.
- Maintaining detailed documentation of datasets to be created and maintained.
- Provide support and training to other analysts and other users of our data.
- Ensure data and reporting integrity adheres to REA data standards and best practices.
- Identify, track, and remediate data quality issues as well as perform exception handling across a broad variety of datasets.
- Analyse and produce data coverage and quality statistics to ensure our data is trustworthy and well understood by external teams.
- Following agile development practices such as test-driven development, continuous delivery and pair programming.
- Working with product managers, business stakeholders, delivery leads and data managers to understand requirements, communicate technical options, report on progress and contribute ideas.
Our ideal candidate will have skills in the following areas:
- Strong SQL skills, preferably with experience in data management, warehousing, ETL, data quality and/or data visualisation
- Good knowledge of database concepts, schemas and table design
- Working with Microsoft SQL Server & Google BigQuery
- Building modern Data Lakes and Data Marts
- Working across Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- Willing to learn new skills in data management and programming
- Able to communicate and collaborate effectively with business stakeholders
- Ability to manage the competing demands of multiple projects in a timely manner – #gsd
- Ability to work productively and autonomously in a fast paced environment
Additional skills and experience that would be nice to have:
Qualifications & Experience
- Working with Tableau
- Experience with Airflow & Python
- Exposure to DevOps tools and techniques, particularly AWS, GCP, and Docker
- Exposure to modern software development techniques such as test-driven development and continuous delivery
- Good communication skills and experience collaborating with other team members.
- A track record of delivering software to high quality standards including deployment and ongoing support.
- Exposure to agile software engineering practices with a passion for continuous improvement.
But we don’t just look for someone based on their skills and expertise. It’s our connection, acceptance and genuine care for each other that makes REA a great place to work. That means you also need to be:
The REA Experience
- Savvy minded and have curiosity to think a little left of field / outside the box
- A strong and creative communicator
- Friendly, approachable and have good relationship management skills
- An avid contributor to our inclusive culture - we celebrate different perspectives and all play an active role in creating a sense of belonging
The physical, mental, emotional and financial health of our people is something we’ll never stop caring about. This is a place to learn and grow. We’re committed to your development – both professionally and personally. Your experience with us is something we take seriously.
Oh, and by the way:
- A flexible working environment, meaning we strike the balance of what you need and what works for the business (and yes, our leaders fully understand the benefits of working flexibly)
- A hybrid approach to the future of work - https://rea.to/hybrid-working
- Generous and flexible parental leave offering for primary and secondary carers
- Summer Fridays – time back to focus on your wellness every Friday afternoon from December through to March
- Because We Care program which includes volunteer leave and community grants, to ensure you have the opportunity to give back to your community
- Hack Days for you to bring so you can bring your big ideas to life in a supportive learning environment
- An additional day of leave just for your birthday
At REA we value diversity and inclusion in all forms. Gender, religion, ethnicity, LBTGIQ+, neurodiversity and so much more. Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you've got the must-haves, dedication and enthusiasm to learn but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
If you like the sound of us, then we think you should apply today. We're proud to be Circle Back Initiative Employer and we commit to respond to every applicant. While we're looking at your application, and preparing to come back to you with an update, why not get to know us a bit more through our various social channels?