Are you a talented Data Engineer looking to bring your expertise to the climate fight and be a part of a world class team at Heirloom? We are looking for a Senior Data Engineer to design our data architecture to optimize our future Carbon Capture systems and bring Heirloom’s carbon technology to life!
All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change?
At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there.
We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
As temperatures continue to rise, individuals from marginalized communities will face the harshest impacts of climate change. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. To accomplish this, we’ve put recruiting, hiring and retaining individuals from underrepresented groups at the top of our priority list. We urge you to apply if you identify as Black, Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander, American Indian or Alaskan Native, Hispanic or Latino, LGBTQ+ – or with any other underrepresented group – even if you don’t tick all the boxes in the description below.
Data is at the core of how we operate and optimize our carbon removal systems at Heirloom. As Heirloom scales and strengthens its cybersecurity posture on the path to removing 1 billion tons of CO2, it will be essential to implement new methods of storing, transmitting and processing data. In this role, you will drive the development of data infrastructure that spans both remote production deployments and R&D activities The Senior Data Engineer will partner across engineering, research and commercialization to identify use cases for data, and collaborate with other members of the software team to meet those needs.
What you will bring
From your strong background in data engineering, you have developed proficiency in configuring, monitoring and profiling relational (MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.) and non-relational (MongoDB, Couchbase, etc.) database systems. As an experienced data engineer, you have deep knowledge of database sharding and replication, data encryption and compression, and time-series data management best practices. In addition to being proficient in one or more modern programming languages (Python, Java, Golang, etc.), you also are comfortable with developing extract, transform and load (ETL) pipelines for data warehousing. You have a keen ability to break down complex or ambiguous technical problems into incremental steps, and your ability to communicate technical projects in written and verbal forms is your superpower!
Please note: the examples in the list above are just that - examples! You don’t have to have every listed skill to be a great fit - you may even teach us something about what we should be looking for! If you are passionate about this opportunity and think you have the skills to succeed, please apply!
means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren't scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may
Maximize our learning rate
means we're always in discovery mode. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Why you should join Heirloom
- We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
- We have done this before. We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from a variety of backgrounds and experiences who are pooling our knowledge and skills to collectively build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
- We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
- We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.
Perks And Benefits
- Robust health coverage. Excellenthealth, dental and vision insurance covered up to 100% by Heirloom. FSA option.
- Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Generous stock options.
- Flexible time off. Unlimited PTO for exempt (salaried) employees & 80 hours for full time non-exempt (hourly) employees.
- Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
- Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.
$160,000 - $180,000 a year
Target annual compensation for this role is between $160,000 and $180,000 depending on level and experience.
At Heirloom we will be deploying systems all over the world in different conditions, including hot and cold weather. This role may require you to occasionally work at heights, perform repetitive activities, including lifting 50 pounds or more, and occasionally use some basic hand and power tools.