WHO YOU ARE
Hej! My name is Linda and I lead the Data & Analytics team in Inventory & Logistics Operations at IKEA. As we are building our new hub in Amsterdam, I’d love to get to know you and convince you why it is great to join us on our digital transformation journey!
Until recently, the big blue boxes with home furniture and food have probably been the only IKEA you have known. To be the-go-to place, both offline and online, we are creating a new IKEA, where digital is at the very core! And so, we are expanding to new channels to enable our customers to reach us in the way they choose!
As Inventory & Logistics Operations, covering all capabilities to enable efficient operations in our fulfilment centers, we play a very important role in the journey towards an omnichannel retailer. We are, for example, transforming the stores to also act as fulfilment centers to respond to the seemingly unstoppable growth of online orders.
When you combine this with our vision ‘to create a better everyday life for the many people’ – for customers, but also coworkers and partners – you will be in a truly people (and planet) positive environment with high-impact work.
What follows is our wish list! If you don’t recognize yourself in all of the following, you might still be an excellent candidate for the role. We like to think long-term and invest in people’s development!
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in the development of production-grade digital products, preferably in a commercial environment
- Strong knowledge of statistics, mathematical programming, analysis of algorithms and computational complexity
- It’s a plus if you have knowledge of operational research (e.g. heuristics, optimization) and are familiar with solvers such as Gurobi, PuLP, or CPLEX
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in a programming language such as Python, Scala, C/C++ or Java
- Experience with software principles (e.g. CI/CD, Agile, DevOps), cloud platforms (e.g. AWS, Azure, GPC) and cloud technologies (e.g. Kubernetes, Docker, REST APIs)
- Master’s or PhD degree in a quantitative field such as Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering, or Computer Science
- A storyteller, you are able to communicate in inspiring ways to people with varied data science background
- A self-starter, you proactively identify and unlock new opportunities for products to become data (science) driven
- A chameleon, you are comfortable in an ever evolving and sometimes ambiguous environment
- Commercially minded, you make effective trade-offs between simplicity and the ‘latest and greatest’ based on the value creation
- Experience with coaching and mentoring data scientists
The IKEA culture and values are very much a part of our business and day to day work life. For you to thrive and grow with IKEA it’s important for us that you share our values! You can read more regarding our values and life at IKEA on our website www.ikea.com.
A DAY IN YOUR LIFE WITH US
Together with people from Product, Engineering and Design in the Fulfilment and Inventory & Logistics Operations domain, you will build and develop digital products that underpin the logistics operations across 400+ IKEA stores and 40+ fulfilment centers across the world!
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will apply and advance state-of-the-art algorithms to solve real-world problems for our coworkers. As you are always looking for new and better ways forward, you will enable innovative product features, such as streamlined pick paths and optimal product placements, significantly improving the efficiency of our operations.
You will take end-to-end ownership of the models you build and develop – from data pipelines to performance in production. Together with the Engineers, you will integrate the models into the digital products with consideration of optimality and complexity. With the operations heavily relying on the products, you will not rest until the quality is assured.
You are as comfortable getting hands-on as taking a step back and think strategically. Together with the Product Owner and stakeholders, you will identify and unlock new opportunities to different parts of the digital product to become data (science) driven.
As the go-to person for data science internally, you will also provide mentorship and guidance to other data scientists in Data & Analytics to bring out the best in them. You will be up to date on the latest developments in data science and its applications in, for example, (omnichannel) supply chains.
TOGETHER AS A TEAM
You will work in Data & Analytics with other Data Scientists, Data Engineers, Data Analysts, Data Stewards and Data Architects. Together you will be joining cross-functional teams consisting of people from Customer Fulfillment and Group Digital.
As Group Digital we set the digital agenda to keep IKEA leading in an ever-evolving world. We drive the development, deployment and production support of the digital products and deliver in a sustainable pace through agile methods. At the same time, we provide a home for digital skills to both develop and extend the technical, people and business skills to strengthen our digital capabilities within IKEA.
To facilitate our digital growth ambition, we are working in different locations world-wide. The home office for this role will be Amsterdam, the Netherlands, but we act as one global team and work together on global solutions.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- Work on interesting real-world problems, and empowered to identify and unlock them yourself
- Exciting work environment, with exceptional opportunities to grow in your career
- Opportunities to have global impact with your work
- Flexible and modern tools: we deploy on Google Cloud Platform and we use a lot of open-source tools
- Your choice between Mac and Windows
- Continuous learning (we aim to spend 20% of our time on learning)
- A team of great colleagues to learn with and from (with world-class experience across all aspects of Data & Analytics)
- Flexible, friendly and fun work environment, with a healthy balance between work and life
- Relocation support where applicable
QUESTIONS AND SUPPORT? LET'S CONNECT!
Does this sound like your next challenge? IKEA offers an exciting and empowering work environment in a global workplace. And as the world’s leader at life at home, you have exceptional opportunities to grow and develop together with us.
For us at IKEA work/life balance is important and in Sweden it’s common to take 3-4 weeks of annual leave during the period Mid-June to Mid-August to spend time with family and loved ones. Due to this, we kindly ask you to expect that this recruitment process may take a bit longer than it normally would do.
If you have questions regarding the role, recruitment process or other practicalities please reach out to Pietro Mattei at email@example.com. Please apply with your application in English. Note that we cannot process any applications through email.