Nordstrom is a specialty retailer offering the very best in fashion and customer service since 1901. We live by five simple values that guide how we work together day-to-day and how we deliver data science & analytics products. We are customer-obsessed, owners at heart, curious and ever-changing, we extend ourselves to our peers and our customers, and we’re here to win!
Our Pricing Data Science & Analytics team is re-imagining Nordstrom’s core pricing capabilities & developing innovative data products to drive value for our customers. As an integral part of the team, the Data Scientist 2 – Price Optimization will research and implement machine learning & optimization techniques across all areas of our pricing strategy. The ideal candidate is a relentless problem solver with strong technical skills and the ability to create robust data solutions end-to-end. They should be energized by the chance to solve open-ended, high-impact research questions and thrive when collaborating with both technical and non-technical partners.
If you are passionate about problem solving and want to work on a team dedicated to a culture of inclusion, growth mindset and collaboration, we need you!A day in the life…
You own this if you have…
- Partner with key stakeholders to understand the challenges in the pricing landscape and their current processes and workflows
- Dive deep into complex business problems and immerse yourself in Nordstrom data & outcomes
- Research analytical approaches within the pricing domain and bring forth ideas
- Work on complex and highly ambiguous projects that may connect multiple domains (e.g. pricing, financial planning, demand forecasting)
- Develop, assess, and deploy statistical and machine learning and/or optimization models that make large scale pricing recommendations
- Present findings to business senior management team to inform business strategy and decisions
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams across discipline such as business, product, engineering partners to drive high quality end-to-end solutions from ideation to productionization
- Design experiments to measure success of pricing data products & interpret findings to share with audiences of all technical abilities
We’ve got you covered…
- Ph.D. or MS degree in, Statistics, Economics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, Computer Science or other quantitative fields
- 3+ years of professional experience analyzing complex data, drawing conclusions, and making recommendations, with direct experience in pricing a plus
- 2+ years of experience in extracting & manipulating large data sets from relational databases using SQL
- Experience developing and implementing statistical and machine learning algorithms (e.g. regression, classification and/or clustering) from inception to deployment
- Familiarity with experimental design and the ability to identify, compute and validate the appropriate metrics to measure success
- Demonstrated success working in a highly collaborative technical environment (e.g., code sharing, using revision control, contributing to team discussions/workshops, and collaborative documentation)
- Passion and aptitude for turning complex business problems into concrete hypotheses that can be answered through rigorous data analysis and experimentation
- Proficient coding skills in Python or R
- Expertise in analytical storytelling and stellar communications skills
Our employees are our most important asset and that’s reflected in our benefits. Nordstrom is proud to offer a variety of benefits to support employees and their families, including:
- Medical/Vision, Dental, Retirement and Paid Time Away
- Life Insurance and Disability
- Merchandise Discount and EAP Resources
A few more important points...
The job posting highlights the most critical responsibilities and requirements of the job. It’s not all-inclusive. There may be additional duties, responsibilities and qualifications for this job.
Nordstrom will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all legal requirements.
Applicants with disabilities who require assistance or accommodation should contact the nearest Nordstrom location, which can be identified at www.nordstrom.com.
© 2022 Nordstrom, Inc
Current Nordstrom employees: To apply, log into Workday, click the Careers button and then click Find Jobs.Pay Range Details
The pay range(s) below are provided in compliance with state specific laws. Pay ranges may be different in other locations.
California: $130,000-$201,500 Annually, Colorado: $114,000-$176,500 Annually, Washington: $130,000-$201,500 Annually
This position may be eligible for performance-based incentives/bonuses. Benefits include 401k, medical/vision/dental/life/disability insurance options, PTO accruals, Holidays, and more. Eligibility requirements may apply based on location, job level, classification, and length of employment. Learn more in the Nordstrom Benefits Overview by copying and pasting the following URL into your browser: https://careers.nordstrom.com/pdfs/Ben_Overview_17-19.pdf