About The Opportunity:
We’re all about connecting hungry diners with our network of over 300,000 restaurants nationwide. Innovative technology, user-friendly platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities set us apart and make us an industry leader in the world of online food ordering. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
Grubhub is a place where authentically fun culture meets innovation and teamwork. We believe in empowering people and opening doors for new opportunities. If you’re looking for a place that values strong relationships, embraces diverse ideas–all while having fun together–Grubhub is the place for you!
More About the Role
Grubhub is looking for an innately curious, business-minded, results-oriented Data Scientist to work on our Logistics Data Science team. As part of our Delivery initiative, this team is focused on developing models, algorithms, simulations, and experiments to accelerate and perfect our delivery systems. As a member of this highly collaborative team, you will get to partner with stakeholders all across the business to solve diverse, novel and highly challenging problems. The team’s responsibilities are uniquely broad; they encompass topics such as delivery timing estimation, driver payment strategies, dynamic market balancing and smarter driver dispatching.
A successful candidate is a motivated individual with strong model, algorithm, and software development, and communication skills. They should hold themselves to a high standard for coding best practices and a passion for pushing their team to new heights by designing new tools and evangelizing durable and efficient solutions for deploying large scale machine learning models and algorithms. Ideally, the candidate would strive to remain abreast with related science technologies, show leadership in charting new avenues for automation through data science and the rare ability to appropriately balance short term gains with long term goals.
The Impact You Will Make:
- Understand the business! Work directly with stakeholders to address their needs.
- Build models, from selecting features to optimizing.
- Be a stakeholder for our models! Help guide and prioritize development of predictive models to enhance our capabilities.
- Question our assumptions! Find new and better ways to do what we’re doing.
- Produce novel analysis giving insights into the business
- Relentlessly analyze and improve the performance of our business.
What You Bring to the Table:
- Master’s degree in a quantitative or technical field such as Statistics, Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- 4 years of industry experience in a data science role or adjacent position
- Expert knowledge with Python scripting language and SQL.
- Experience with the entire pipeline of deploying machine-learning algorithms including their development, validation, implementation, and production launch.
- Demonstrable proficiency in basic statistics, linear algebra, and calculus as they relate to machine learning concepts.
- Interest in coding best practices, both in acquiring them, developing them, and evangelizing them to teammates and others.
- Strong ability to distill and communicate complex technical concepts and solutions at a level appropriate for the intended audience.
- Applied neural network architectures to solve actual business problems preferably in a live production environment.
Got These? Even Better!
- Practical experience with the latest advancements in utilizing time series data in neural networks (temporal convolution, attention heads, etc.).
- Proven ability to apply near state-of-the-art natural language processing techniques to automate and optimize business operations.
- Experience with big data: extraction, processing, filtering, and presenting large data quantities using cloud technologies like AWS.
- A knack for analyzing and improving processes using data
And Of Course, Perks!:
Flexible PTO/PTO. Grubhub employees enjoy a generous amount of time to recharge.
Health and Wellness. Excellent medical benefits, employee network groups and paid parental leave are just a few of our programs to support your overall well-being.
Competitive Pay. You’ll receive a competitive base salary with eligibility for generous incentives, bonuses, commission or RSUs (role-specific).
Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. We empower you to be a leader and grow your career through training, coaching and mentorship opportunities.
MealPerks. Get meals on us! Our employees get a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants.
Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives like Wellness Wednesdays, Slack competitions and virtual happy hours!
Social Impact. At Grubhub we believe in giving back through programs like the Grubhub Community Relief Fund and donating $1 million to the Equal Justice Initiative in 2020. Employees are also given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
COVID-19 Response. All of our employees are currently working from home and will be for the foreseeable future. We look forward to seeing everyone in-office when it’s safe to return.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage a workplace that is just as diverse as the customers we serve. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. If you’re applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an email to TalentAcquisition@grubhub.com and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.