Build a better career with MSC.
Serving customer and community starts with the very best people doing their very best work. That is precisely what we have at MSC Industrial Supply Co., a leading North American distributor of metalworking and maintenance, repair, and operations (MRO) products and services.
Requisition ID :10859
Employment Type : Full Time
Job Category : Information Technology
Work Location : - Remote
State or Province :
Potential Work Location : United States :
BRIEF POSITION SUMMARY:
At MSC, we are growing our Analytics team and investing in forward-thinking BI and Data Analytics solutions. As we build out the team, we are looking for a smart and innovative leader who is self-sufficient and thrives in ambiguity, has experience in Analytics, and can drive results across MSC bridging business and technical areas. This is an opportunity to be a part of a special milestone, help us build the future of Analytics at MSC, and ignite a data-driven culture.
The Data Engineer will support building approachable and reusable data structures to access to raw data, but to do this, they need to understand company’s or client’s objectives. It’s important to have business goals in line when working with data, especially when handling large and complex datasets and databases. Develop data pipelines using industry best practices. Makes adjustments to adopt new methodologies that provide the business with increased flexibility and agility. This role requires a significant set of technical skills, including an in-depth knowledge of SQL database design, ETL/ELT design, and multiple programming languages. But data engineers also need active listening skills to work across departments to understand what business leaders want to gain from the company’s large datasets as well as communication skills to convey status or ideas to various types of audiences.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides technical leadership and guidance
- Develops, constructs, tests and maintains architectures
- Aligns architecture with business requirements
- Data acquisition
- Develops data set processes
- Designs and builds Data Service APIs
- Data mining and segmentation techniques and combining raw data from different sources
- Designs and develops resilient pipelines using a variety of different technologies
- Manages our data from ingestion through ETL to storage and load.
- Identifies and implements ways to improve data reliability, efficiency and quality
- Uses data to discover tasks that can be automated
- Participates in rotational on-call support and provide ongoing maintenance of all data infrastructure.
- Stays current with latest cloud technologies, patterns, and methodologies; share knowledge by clearly articulating results and ideas to key stakeholders. May be required to present ideas to larger audience for review and buy-in.
- Fosters the MSC Culture in the department and throughout the company to ensure fulfillment of MSC’s vision and unity of purpose.
- Participation in special projects and performs additional duties as required
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Systems Analysis or a related study.
- Minimum of three years of experience working with high volume data infrastructure with exposure to database design/structures, ETL/ELT design patterns, and datamart structures (star, snowflake schemas, etc.)
- Minimum of three years of experience with full cycle application development (Full SDLC experience: design, development, delivery, etc.)
- Minimum of one year of experience implementing modern applications using Cloud Based Solutions/Technologies (AWS Redshift, S3, Google BigQuery, Azure Data Bricks, Synapse)
- Experience w/Data Lake concepts and design patterns (AWS S3, parquet, python, lambda, java, NoSQ (Preferred)
- BI Technologies (such as Tableau, Jasper, Cognos, Qlik, Looker, and others) preferred.
- Exposure to Spark Streaming and Machine Learning preferred.
- Exposure to Graph Databases preferred.
- Deploy sophisticated analytics programs, machine learning and statistical methods
- Prepare data for predictive and prescriptive modeling
- Experience with DevOps process (exposure to GitHub, Jenkins or other CI/CD tools)
- Implementation of modern application and infrastructure design patterns, including micro-services and containers, disposable, reactive, stateless and distributed patterns.
- Knowledge and proficiency in the latest open source and data frameworks but not limited to, NodeJS, OpenJDK, React, Python and NoSQL, DynamoDB database(s)
- Strong comprehensive of Data Management and Data governance best practices (3NF, SCD)
- Strong Knowledge about Agile techniques: User Stories, Continuous Integration, Test Driven Development, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing, Burn Down Metrics, Velocity etc.
- Strong knowledge of software development processes and procedures to understand team needs includes fundamentals of iterative and incremental development
- A valid driver’s license and the ability to travel up to 15% of the time may be required.
Why MSC? People. Collaboration. Insight. That’s how you build something that works. Built on a foundation of trust, MSC works side by side with our customers to help them drive business results. With more than one million product offerings and 75+ years of experience across industries, MSC strives to help our customers achieve greater productivity, profitability, and growth through inventory management and other innovative supply chain solutions. We care about our associates and have programs in place to help our 6,500+ team members achieve their potential.
When you join our team, you will receive rewards and recognition for your contributions, training and professional development opportunities, Associate Inclusion Circles: Women, Pride, Black, Veterans, HOLA and DisABLEd as well as a variety of benefits to support you and your family's health, well-being, and financial future. If you are inspired to learn, take risks, and succeed as a team, you can build a better career at MSC.
Equal Opportunity Statement: At MSC, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all qualified applicants and our associates without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or any category protected by applicable law. By applying to this job you agree to the Application and Acknowledgment Declaration terms.