- A degree in Math, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering or other quantitative disciplines
- Deep experience building, debugging, and understanding ML and DL models in common frameworks (eg TensorFlow)
- Extremely strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- A strong passion for and extensive experience in conducting empirical research and answering hard questions with data
- Experience working with extremely large data sets
- Experience in Pandas or R; relational databases and SQL, especially HiveExperience with data mining, machine learning, statistical modeling tools and underlying algorithms
- Proven ability to communicate complex technical work to a non-technical audience
- Proficiency with Unix/Linux environments
About the job
We’re looking for a data master to join our team as a Senior Data Scientist to drive data-centric product development and revenue growth in collaboration with our PMs, product designers, and engineers.
Price Freeze has evolved into a mature product and the Senior Data Scientist role is crucial to its continued success and growth. You may be a great fit for our team if you are an exceptional explorer who doesn't compromise on understanding the root cause of a new trend, truly dive deep into a problem, and are able to apply first principle thinking and product intuition to your work.
About the team
Leveraging data science to solve customers’ problems is in Hopper’s DNA. While this began with helping customers plan and book travel more intelligently, we have extended our capabilities to ensure customers secure the best fares for their trips with unique product offerings like Price Freeze. These product offerings currently make a large fraction of Hopper’s revenue and have helped drive Hopper’s growth despite the travel slowdown due to COVID-19.
Customers that book with Hopper and use Price Freeze can be confident they won’t miss out on a great deal. Price Freeze lets customers that are not yet ready to book lock in great flight deals at a low cost for anywhere from 12 hours to 14 days. As a Senior Data Scientist on this team, you will build and test models by tapping into Hopper’s massive user base, and lead efforts to improve our pricing and risk modeling, among other goals.
More about Hopper
Today, Hopper is best known as a travel app. We're going to do about $1B in sales this year and weathered the COVID storm better than anyone expected. We just raised $170M from Goldman Sachs and Capital One, and inked a deal to be the exclusive travel provider for Capital One Travel.
We owe our success, in large part, to a proprietary suite of data-driven and risk-based financial services that we have developed that complement a customer's trip-purchasing experience. One example is Price Freeze, where our customers are able to purchase a financial option in the app to lock in any price that they see, on any item, for as short as 1 hour or as long as 21 days with Hopper taking the risk on the other side of the trade.
Now we're laying the groundwork for continued expansion in 2021 by adding great people to our team who can help us compete with the travel giants.