-Innovation from the Ground to the Cloud.
Metallurgical coal is an essential ingredient in blast-furnace steel manufacture, producing steel used for critical building and infrastructure around the world. In Australia, we operate two open cut and three underground metallurgical coal mines in Queensland’s Bowen Basin, every year producing millions of tonnes of the highest quality hard coking coal for this purpose.
The Metallurgical Coal (MetCoal) Analytics Centre, referred to as the “MAC” is a new centralised hub at the Brisbane Corporate Office, which will support MetCoal Australia operations by providing insights backed by data science and functional experts. The MAC will deliver a step change in performance, moving our operations from a connected mine to an integrated intelligent mine, leveraging the vast quantity of data through analytics, to deliver improved business outcomes. The MAC is aligned with the objectives of the ‘Intelligent Mine’ theme in Anglo American’s FutureSmart MiningTM.
-We are looking for a savvy Data Scientist to join our growing team of Analytics experts. As a senior technical expert in MAC’s data operations team, you will be responsible for developing and deploying analytical models and logics that addresses a particular business problem and ensuring that end-users continue to gain value through the insights generated by data analytics.
Working with massive and complex data sets from multiple sources you will develop prototype solutions, visualisation, mathematical models, algorithms, machine learning techniques, and robust analytics to provide insights and development of data products. While we closely support our operations with data and visualization in our day to day data operations with our cutting edge industry-first diagnostics and visualisation solutions using thousands of real-time sensors data through our operations. In addition, as a data scientist in MAC’s data ops team, you will also contribute in developing long term solutions and monitoring other data science projects by our other internal or external stakeholders.
You will be supporting innovative and rapid development projects and business as usual services that require data.
-To be successful in this role you will have:
- A tertiary qualification in Computer Science, IT, Engineering, Maths, Data Science or the equivalent (required)
- Masters degree or Ph.D. in Computer Science/ Quantitative subject, statistics, math, engineering, physics. is preferred
- Additional qualification in data science will be highly favourable
- Microsoft Azure certification will be highly favourable
- Programming languages such as Python and SQL to develop quality code and logics (advance level is required)
- Cloud-based platforms (Azure is preferred), DevOps, Git, PowerShell Scripts and VSC.
- Data science methods and techniques to draw insights from large data sets
- Advanced statistical techniques and concepts
- Visualisation and presentation of data analysis
- Quantitative and qualitative insights
- Working on time series data and historian databases is preferred
- PowerBi and Grafana for dashboards are preferred
- APIs and Microservices Architectures are preferred
- Historian and time-series databases- OSI PI are preferred
- Working with a variety of stakeholders and people with different areas of expertise in an agile environment
- Leading the development of data models and applying data analytics techniques to deliver improvements in productivity and reliability
Other highly regarded experience includes:
- Experience using Agile methodology
- Experience using big data technologies (Pyspark, data factory, data lakes,…)
- Practical experience in mining, resources, or similar heavy industry
- Experience working in engineering and/or management consulting
-This position is based at our Brisbane Corporate Office.
What we offer
When you join Anglo American, you can expect to enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package. But more than this, you’ll find yourself in an environment where the opportunities for learning and growth are second to none. From technical training to leadership programmes, we bring out the best in our people. There are plenty of opportunities to move onwards and upwards too.
Who we are?
We aim to lead the industry by pursuing ever safer and more responsible ways of working, demonstrating integrity and showing care and respect for people and the planet. That means we are constantly seeking new opportunities to mine and process our products sustainably, using less water, less energy and more precise extraction technologies.
Inclusion and Diversity
At Anglo American, we embrace change and promote an inclusive and diverse environment where you can bring your whole self to work, every day. We are adopting new approaches to recruitment, talent development, mentoring, parental leave and flexible working to further support diversity across our business.
Successful candidates will be required to complete background screening which may include a criminal check and validation of qualifications.
CLOSING DATE: Friday, 3rd December 2021
Please note, screening and interviews may take place prior to closing date – applications may also close before this date.
Anglo American’s Metallurgical Coal Business does not accept applications from Recruitment Agencies.