About Product Development Data Sciences
Roche Data Scientists are essential leaders in driving and implementing a broad range of quantitative drug development strategies; they bring data to life and enable the organization to make the best possible data-driven decisions.
As a Data Scientist at Roche Pharma, you’ll actively shape the future of healthcare as a member of Data and Statistical Sciences (DSS) within Product Development (PD) and PD Data Sciences (PDD).
You will be responsible for the strategic and analytical activities of the molecules and devices in our pipeline on a level matching your seniority.
DSS activities span multiple therapeutic areas, a wide range of data types, and collaborations with a variety of experts, all with the goal to develop innovative healthcare solutions for patients and society. Your responsibilities in support of our PDD products may include a wide variety of contributions: partnering with key stakeholders, working on the molecule portfolio, supporting specialized business areas, or contributing to key initiatives that shape our technical, business and healthcare environments. You may be a work product owner and leader, quantitative expert on a project team, or driver of key internal or external relationships.
About This Role
As a Senior Principal Data Scientist focused on RWD, you will work with meaningful data to generate impactful evidence and insights on our molecules/medicines and patients, that support R&D, advance scientific and medical knowledge, and enable personalized patient care and access.
You will collaborate with peers within the function and across the organization to develop evidence generation strategies, identify evidence gaps and data sources, design and execute studies, and implement analyses to address molecule and disease area questions. The data will be varied in type - patient-level clinical data, supplemented with deep patient data such as omics (e.g. genomics, proteomic), imaging, digital health, etc. Source data will be diverse -- real-world data, including patient registries, electronic medical records, claims, biobanks, and clinical trials. The evidence and insights will be used to inform the research and development of our molecules, and support healthcare decisions by patients, physicians, health authorities, payers, and policy-makers.
This will require a good understanding of molecule and disease area strategies, healthcare environments, as well as strong scientific and technical real world data science expertise. You will need strong strategic, collaboration and communication skills, as well as an entrepreneurial mindset, to transform the way we use data and analytics to develop and deliver medicines for our patients.
As Senior Principal Data Scientist you will typically be expected to contribute to the molecule/disease area for multiple or complex projects with minimal supervision. You are expected to closely collaborate with our external research partners and internal stakeholders to ensure study implementation. We will look to you as a positive role model for colleagues.
Data Sciences Leadership:
- Accountable for the development and implementation of Data Sciences products
- Lead and/ or support multiple elements of the drug development process across various phases of clinical trials
- Identify evidence needs and recommend real world data solutions: Ask the right scientific questions, understand the evidence needs for research and development, regulatory, medical and market access, and ideate and make recommendations on fit-for-purpose data and analytics solutions
- Lead and/ or support regular review of opportunities to simplify and innovate, and collaborate with experts within and outside of DSS and PDD to accelerate and deliver patient benefits faster
- Lead and/ or support prioritization efforts, demonstrating urgency and taking smart risks to make considered decisions in a fast-paced, evolving environment
Drug Development Strategy and Execution:
- Lead or contribute technical expertise to multiple elements of the business, including: strategic planning; communication; and implementation
- Support and/or represent DSS and PDD across multiple functions of the Roche global organization, which may include; Pharma Research and Early Development (pRED); Genentech Research and Early Development (gRED); PD; Market Access, Global Product Strategy (GPS), and Pharma Technical (PT)
- Purposefully collaborate and influence to support PDD to be at the forefront of our industry for Data Sciences
- Collaborate with Global Health Authorities to support our product pipeline
- Communicate findings to internal stakeholders, regulatory, health technology assessment (HTA) bodies and scientific communities; publish results; participate in external meetings and forums to present your insights (e.g. congress/conference)
- Build strong partnerships and opportunities to collaborate and innovate with varying stakeholders across the Roche global organization in support of Roche products, programs, processes, systems, and/or compliance
- Continuously look for opportunities to broaden knowledge, capabilities and skill set to enable talent to flow into different Specialties and Disease Areas
- Role model knowledge sharing within DSS, PDD, and beyond
- Act as a coach, mentor, or buddy to help colleagues grow and develop
- Contribute technical, therapeutic and business expertise within and external to DSS and PDD,which may include: Research and Development products; Drug development and clinical trial products; Current and new technologies; Working with external data and external organizations; Global Health Authority requirements; Data Sciences industry landscape; Statistical methods and techniques; Analytical strategies; Programming languages; Software development; Data standards; Therapeutic area expertise; Outsourcing expertise; Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, and Reusable (FAIR) Data Principles; Data Citizenship; Data Privacy; Best practices; and Process improvements, etc
- Explore ways of modernizing insight generation through new innovative tools and technology
- Build expertise in novel data types, statistical methods, programming languages, and analytical methodology, which may include advanced analytics, special trial and RWD study designs and types, and data handling methods
- Demonstrate a good level of system awareness
What do you bring?
- College/University degree – PhD or equivalent education in quantitative data science discipline (e.g. statistics/biostatistics, epidemiology, outcomes research, public health, medicine)
- 10 years of relevant work experience. Experience in the pharmaceutical/biotech industry is preferred
- Understanding of the end-to-end drug development lifecycle, particularly as relevant to the Specialty of interest (i.e. RWD)
- Track record of establishing successful internal partnerships and collaborations
- Influential and confident communicator
- Demonstrates experience or is adaptable to utilizing and/or models modern ways of working consistent with an agile and growth mindset, and agile behaviors and methodologies
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Ability to work across multiple cultures and countries
- Knowledge of GCP, international regulations, guidelines and their application, and all other applicable compliance standards is a plus
- Willingness to travel as required
- Hematology experience is a plus
Who we are
At Roche, more than 100,000 people across 100 countries are pushing back the frontiers of healthcare. Working together, we’ve become one of the world’s leading research-focused healthcare groups. Our success is built on innovation, curiosity and diversity.
Basel is the headquarters of the Roche Group and one of its most important centres of pharmaceutical research. Over 10,700 employees from over 100 countries come together at our Basel/Kaiseraugst site, which is one of Roche`s largest sites. Read more.
Besides extensive development and training opportunities, we offer flexible working options, 18 weeks of maternity leave and 10 weeks of gender independent partnership leave. Our employees also benefit from multiple services on site such as child-care facilities, medical services, restaurants and cafeterias, as well as various employee events.
We believe in the power of diversity and inclusion, and strive to identify and create opportunities that enable all people to bring their unique selves to Roche.
Roche is an Equal Opportunity Employer.