The Data Scientist will work within the Data Operations department helping to make the most of Elsevier’s high quality scientific content.
They will work in high visibility projects as Data Scientists, bringing their Data Science, Machine Learning and NLP expertise to projects. Their responsibility will include end-to-end development of state of the art ML models aiming to extract information found within published or submitted for publication scientific content, from their conception to their operationalisation. As member of a team of junior and senior data scientists, they will collaborate with technology teams, product managers and domain experts to build high value outcome from Elsevier content. They will have an opportunity to impact significant processes that affect Elsevier customer facing products.
Explore the content to contribute on the feasibility and effort estimation discussions for specific tasks
Support the discussion with product owners on the scope of data driven solutions.
Work together with software engineers to design APIs on specific tasks
Work with product owners to define quality metrics
ML model development
- Ensure right data for development of ML models by analysing data requirements
- Use the right software libraries and tools to train and validate ML models
- Leverage state of the art technology to push the accuracy metrics to high ends
- Explore methods to balance accuracy vs complexity
- Manage risk for lower than expected performance
- Conduct error analysis to identify ways to improve on methodology and performance
- Monitor and report computational compexity and carbon footprint metrics
ML model lifecycle
- Ensure reproducibility of ML experiments
- Work with the MLOps team to ensure robust deployment and usage of the ML models to production
- Produce the right level of documentation to support using and contributing to the model
- Provide transparency on evaluation output
- Ensure proper AI ethics are met
Functional and Technical Competencies
Data Science Skills:
- Competency in relevant skills and software packages.
- Demonstrates competencies in relevant Data Science and/or Statistical frameworks.
- Able to apply Machine Learning, Data Mining, and/or Statistical methods to build advanced models. Able to roll into production with senior guidance.
Project management skills:
- Independent support of small scale projects.
- Support from others in supporting more complicated project steps.
- Understands and executes complex methods within the NLP domain
Master's degree on Machine Learning, AI or related fields or Bachelor Degree on Computer Science + 2 years of experience in related field
Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact email@example.com or if you are based in the US you may also contact us on 1.855.833.5120
Please read our