Your success is a train ride away!
As we move America’s workforce toward the future, Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority, and the success of our railroad is due to our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
Our values of ‘Do the Right Thing, Excel Together and Put Customers First’ are at the heart of what matters most to us, and our Core Capabilities, ‘Building Trust, Accountability, Effective Communication, Customer Focus, and Proactive Safety & Security’ are what every employee needs to know and do to be most impactful at Amtrak. By living the Amtrak values, focusing on our capabilities, and actively embracing and fostering diverse ideas, backgrounds, and perspectives, together we will honor our past and make Amtrak a company of the future.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Lead Data Scientist will support the Marketing team in synthesizing various data domains, supporting customer data enrichment and creating working models helpful for customer segmentation. This position will require the candidate to apply theoretical concepts to data sources and create meaningful insights that can be shared with senior leadership. Specifically, the candidate would provide analysis into various customer-based attributes like price sensitivity, travel history, promotional usage, psychographic profiles including brand loyalty. Additionally, the candidate will work closely with the Market Research and Analytics team to create customer segments that can be used in campaigns and product development. This role requires experience in SQL and Exploratory Data Analysis coupled with familiarity doing customer segmentation in some scientific programming language.
- Curate datasets from disparate sources – clean, normalize, scale, and impute while deriving features for modelling.
- Support advanced level analytical and modeling to support customer analytics team.
- Support IT and ancillary business partners with onboarding new data sources, profiling, scoring, and tracking data quality.
- Produce programmatic visualizations to communicate findings with executive-level leadership.
- Leverage Machine Learning and NLP techniques to data mine customer feedback and provide proactive reporting to senior leadership.
- Degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Statistics, or related field
- 6 years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated technical competency and coursework in relation to software development, versioning systems, ML/AI – specifically clustering and regression.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to explain complex technical concepts clearly to business leadership.
- Experience with cleaning, conforming and summarizing data – demonstrated experience working with various imputation methods and feature engineering approaches
- Python/R and SQL programming, familiarity with customer-related data domains helpful
- Experience in the design, testing and reporting of various customer segmentation algorithms (K-Means++ and Hierarchical)
- Documentation and structured programming to support sustainable development practices
- Debugging and code-reading skills
- Experience with Customer Data Platforms, AWS S3, Redshift and Adobe Analytics
- Provable experience with SQL in the context of large data sources
- Familiarity with building reusable code including packages, libraries and stored procedures
- Some experience with unstructured data sources
- Experience with visualization tools such as Business Objects, Tableau, ggplot or similar
- Understanding of data warehousing concepts including data integration, normalized data
- Demonstrated skill in project planning and collaborating with groups
- Ability to describe challenges and solutions in both technical and business terms
- Ability to develop and maintain excellent working relationships at all organizational levels
- Familiarity with various machine learning and modelling platforms and libraries including Keras, Tidy models and k-prototype clustering.
- Experience with enterprise SDLC best practices including documentation, versioning, and testing frameworks.
- Demonstrated experience working and presenting to senior and C-level management.3-6 years of relevant experience preferred
- 8 years of relevant experience preferred
- Constantly or frequently uses a computer keyboard, monitor, and mouse to perform a variety of tasks.
- Constantly or frequently sits, stands, or walks; may lift, carry, push, or pull objects of various weight; may reach, kneel, crouch, bend, or twist in order to in order to perform administrative tasks (e.g., filing, retrieving materials from desks and bookcases, moving around an office setting).
- May occasionally be in the field and subject to walking on uneven surfaces, climbing over obstacles, or working in tunnels and restricted spaces during the course of an investigation.
- Frequently handles multiple projects simultaneously
- Able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment requiring quick thinking, tight time constraints, changing priorities and ability to solve problems.
- Constantly communicates, comprehends, and responds to verbal statements and instructions both orally and in writing.
- Constantly acquires new knowledge, skills, and tasks, both complex and simple, in order to maintain effectiveness in position.
- Frequently resolves problems with conflicting priorities in cognitively demanding situations.
- Frequently reads and analyzes hard copy and or computer screen material and writes reports as appropriate.
- Conducts in person and/or telephone dialogues as appropriate in order to manage and conduct the flow of work.
- Frequently works long hours and is required to be on-call and available on an emergency basis.
- Constantly works in a fast-paced, time sensitive environment with frequently changing priorities.
- Frequently works in crisis situations requiring fast, long-reaching decisions based on incomplete information/data.
- Frequently handles multiple projects simultaneously.
- Frequently or occasionally travels throughout and outside the region as required (e.g., via airplane, train, automobile) – 20%.
Posting Location(s):District of Columbia; Maryland; Virginia
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
All positions require pre-employment background check verification, a pre-employment drug screen and proof of full vaccination against COVID -19. Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. Successful applicants for employment with Amtrak must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.
POSTING NOTES: Marketing || Corporate Jobs