Hi, We’re AppFolio.
We’re innovators, changemakers, and collaborators. We’re more than just a software company — we’re a cloud-based powerhouse that creates products to make our customers’ lives easier. We’re revolutionizing the way people do business, and we want your ideas, your enthusiasm, and your passion to help us keep on innovating.
We love where we work, and you can, too.
We are hiring a Senior Data Engineer to lead our Payments Data team. You will bring our data platform to the next level with the overall goal of building a highly scalable, redundant payment platform while managing risk and mitigating financial fraud.
What You’ll Do
Your responsibilities will include leading a data engineering team, in a senior role, to design, build, modernize and maintain our highly scalable payments data platform. You will enhance our data capabilities to understand our existing Payments Business by developing and owning the data pipelines to transform raw, unstructured data into formats our data scientists can use for analysis.
This is an ideal opportunity for someone who has a passion for leading and building a leading-edge data infrastructure and is driven to help build a successful SaaS product used by thousands of happy businesses. We foster an environment that empowers small teams to collaboratively set the technical direction of our solutions.
Optimize the ingestion and retrieval of raw unstructured data to develop and monitor KPIs to run the payments business
Extract data from various data source systems, transform it, and load it into a data warehouse system
Develop, maintain and own scalable data pipelines to support continual increases in data volume and complexity
Build new APIs to allow for easy integrations for data ingestion
Collaborate with the business teams to improve data models to support our inhouse data tools
Help develop a strategy for long term data architecture which will allow us to make data-driven decisions to optimize our payments infrastructure and allow insight into our payments business
Research, share and recommend new technologies and trends that will help modernize our payments data infrastructure.
Work closely with, and incorporate feedback from other engineering team members, QA, product owners, and Dev Ops.
Leverage agile practices in start-up mode, encourage collaboration, prioritization, and urgency to develop at a rapid pace.
- BS, MS, or Ph.D. in Computer Science or related technical discipline
- 5+ years of data engineering experience in a SaaS environment
- Have a strong desire and commitment to own a major data infrastructure development and operation with a team. Have a habit of delivering user value first and improving quickly with feedback.
- Very strong technical/coding skills (Python)
- In-depth knowledge of SQL and SQL database design
- Deep understanding of building data pipelines (Kafka, Airflow, etc) and current technology trends
- Deep understanding of data warehouse systems (Snowflake, Redshift, etc)
- Technical expertise with data models, data mining, and segmentation techniques
- Experience building streaming systems with large amounts of data and complex aggregation logic
- Strong leadership skills to lead and develop a world-class engineering team
- Creativity, ability to solve complex problems without a roadmap
- You love learning about new technologies, but understand the value of continuing to use something old if it still does everything you need it to do
- You care about the long-term maintainability of the codebase and will learn to advocate for refactoring and clean-ups where appropriate
- You care about work-life balance and want your company to care about it too; you'll put in the extra hour when needed but won't let it become a habit
- Strong familiarity with Agile software development processes: Scrum or Kanban
- Strong familiarity with Test-Driven-Development
- Working experiences with modern payment technologies.
- Experience working on a fraud detection and prevention system
- Experience with some areas of our tech like Ruby on Rails, React, Redux, Kubernetes, AWS, SOA
AppFolio (NASDAQ: APPF) was founded in 2006 with the mission to revolutionize vertical industry businesses by providing great software and service. Our easy-to-use, cloud-based software helps our customers more effectively market, manage, and grow their businesses. Today our software solutions exist in two verticals including the real estate (AppFolio Property Manager, AppFolio Property Manager PLUS, and AppFolio Investment Manager) and legal (MyCase) industries.
To find out more about what AppFolio has to offer, check out appfolioinc.com/careers.