At TD we're guided by our purpose is to enrich the lives of our customers, communities and colleagues, and share a set of values that shape our culture and guide our behavior. In exchange for how our colleagues show up to help TD succeed, we are committed to delivering a colleague experience grounded in Impact, Growth and a Culture of Care. No matter where you work across TD, we empower you to make an impact at work and in your community, explore and grow your career and be part of our caring and inclusive culture.Making Your Well-being a Priority
A supportive culture that promotes colleague well-being is core to who we are. At TD, we focus on total well-being with extensive programs to help colleagues assess, manage, and improve their well-being across four core pillars — physical, financial, social and mental/emotional. In addition, we champion a safe and inclusive work environment so colleagues feel a sense of belonging and feel supported in their personal and professional growth. Through our focus on well-being, we know that we can help our colleagues thrive, contribute to our culture of care, and support better business outcomes, because when colleagues feel their best, they're more likely to do their best.Our Total Rewards Package
Our Total Rewards package reflects the investment we make in our colleagues to help them, and their families achieve their well-being goals. Total Rewards at TD includes a base salary, variable compensation, and several other key plans such as health and well-being benefits including medical, dental, vision & mental health coverage, savings and retirement programs, paid time off, banking benefits and discounts, career development, and reward and recognition programs.How We Work
At TD, we believe in-person connections fuel collaboration and collective creativity. Our workplace experience empowers colleagues to do great work side-by-side at TD locations, while offering flexibility to work remotely where it makes sense for the work and team. Our teams work in one of three workplace models: Hybrid, Onsite and Primarily Remote. Wherever our colleagues are working, they’ll always have access to the TD community and experience our culture of care.Who We Are
TD is one of the world's leading global financial institutions and is the fifth largest bank in North America by branches. Every day, we deliver legendary customer experiences to over 27 million households and businesses in Canada, the United States and around the world. More than 95,000 TD colleagues bring their skills, talent, and creativity to the Bank, those we serve, and the economies we support. We are guided by our vision to Be the Better Bank and our purpose to enrich the lives of our customers, communities and colleagues.
TD is deeply committed to being a leader in customer experience, that is why we believe that all colleagues, no matter where they work, are customer facing. As we build our business and deliver on our strategy, we are innovating to enhance the customer experience and build capabilities to shape the future of banking. Whether you’ve got years of banking experience or are just starting your career in financial services, we can help you realize your potential. Through regular leadership and development conversations to mentorship and training programs, we’re here to support you towards your goals. As an organization, we keep growing – and so will you.Department Overview
The Global Compliance Department mission is to foster a culture of integrity, ethics and compliance and deliver independent risk management and oversight of regulatory compliance risk and conduct risk throughout TD. This is performed in accordance with the Global Compliance Department Mandate, in execution of the Global Compliance Operating Framework (GCOF). The department achieves this by independently assessing the adequacy of, adherence to and effectiveness of regulatory compliance management programs and controls in the business; delivering objective guidance and independent challenge; proactively managing regulatory change; and providing trusted and reliable reporting, advice and opinion to senior leadership and the Board on the state of regulatory compliance risks, controls and outcomes.Job Description
Do you want to dive into the intersection of fairness and modeling? Do you want to tackle how we can leverage explainability approaches to understand models? Are you passionate about technology and ethics? If so, then this is a job for you.
As the backbone of our financial system, banks have rich large-scale datasets and are rapidly adopting modeling solutions to improve customer experience and drive business performance, including AI and machine learning. While models are increasingly pervasive across society, there are many outstanding questions and challenges to ensure that model outcomes are fair and transparent. In this position, you will play a key role in ensuring the appropriate application of models.
This position reports to the Senior Manager, Compliance Oversight of Models Office. Detailed accountabilities include:
- Conduct research on how to identify, assess, and address modeling risks and associated concerns
- Support the development of technical standards and guidelines covering model risk matters, and draft key compliance documents in appropriate coordination with stakeholders
- Represent Compliance in major projects, initiatives, and engagements
- Evaluate model development procedures and practices
- Develop training materials and guidelines to help businesses address regulatory compliance throughout the model lifecycle
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of techniques and developments in the field of advanced modeling and share knowledge with business partners and senior management
- Review use cases across TD, and build a close working relationship with business units across the Enterprise. Objectives include:
- Supporting compliance risk management associated with models used by TD, and
- Supporting the business in monitoring regulatory compliance and risk mitigation throughout the model lifecycles.
The successful candidate will join the Compliance Oversight of Models Office (COMO), an interdisciplinary team that sits at the intersection of data science, regulatory understanding, and ethics. COMO is responsible for the global compliance oversight of models from a regulatory compliance perspective. COMO's oversight spans the model lifecycle and engagement with disparate model stakeholders. The COMO mandate includes but is not limited to:
- Assessing models for regulatory compliance;
- Providing oversight and independent challenge to approaches used to identify, assess, and address regulatory compliance risk; and
- Supporting the business in monitoring regulatory compliance and removing or mitigating risk throughout the model lifecycle.
COMO embraces a multidisciplinary approach, celebrating the alternative, multi-faceted perspectives needed to ensure that AI is developed and deployed ethically. COMO is committed to helping team members develop professionally and expand their horizons because the best way to address the challenges of tomorrow is to have a team that can see those challenges today.Job Requirements
Experience & Education
- Hands-on data science expertise including, but not limited to, machine learning, statistics, and data visualization
- Experience with/knowledge of methods, techniques and tools to support model explainability and bias/fairness assessments
- The ability to stay abreast of developments in advanced modeling
- The ability to effectively collaborate with technical and non-technical stakeholders (e.g., business partners and control partners) across the model development lifecycle and as part of enterprise initiatives
- Ability to influence people and deal with conflicting points of view and to effect creative and responsive solutions
- Comfort representing Compliance in executive-level initiatives and meetings, and working with all levels of staff within the Enterprise
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Work effectively as a team to peer review other team member model reviews and share knowledge
- Establish strong relationships with Business Units, Control Partners, Compliance Units, acting as a primary Compliance contact for model compliance risks
- Assist with response to regulatory inquiries, examinations and investigations as applicable.
- Quick learner who constantly works on improving skills and expertise.
- Good time management and multitasking skills with minimal supervision.
- Postgraduate degree (preferably in computer science, math, statistics, engineering, or related quantitative field)
- Relevant experience with the model development lifecycle (model validation expertise would be especially advantageous)
- Demonstrable engagement with the issues of explainability and/or fairness in the context of advanced analytics and modeling
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
At TD, we’re committed to fostering an environment where all colleagues are encouraged to bring their authentic selves to work, experience equitable opportunities, and feel respected and supported. We’re dedicated to building an inclusive workforce that reflects the diversity of the customers and the communities in which we live and serve.Accommodation
Your accessibility is important to us. Please let us know if you’d like accommodations (including accessible meeting rooms, captioning for virtual interviews, etc.) to help us remove barriers so that you can participate throughout the interview process.How We're Helping Make An Impact In Communities
TD has a long-standing commitment to help drive progress towards a more inclusive and sustainable future. That’s why we launched the TD Ready Commitment in 2018, now a multi-year North American initiative. Under the TD Ready Commitment, we are targeting a total of $1 billion by 2030 in community giving four key, interconnected drivers of change: Financial Security, Vibrant Planet, Connected Communities, and Better Health. It’s our goal to help support change, nurture progress, and contribute to making the world a better, more inclusive place for our customers, colleagues, and communities.
We look forward to hearing from you!