From global research discoveries to clinical breakthroughs – our vision is to become the most influential life sciences company for researchers. If you are motivated by making a real impact to people’s life and have a desire to work in a passionate and diverse community, Abcam is the place for you.
Our culture is driven by our dedicated, agile and audacious community of professionals who are driven by a combined purpose and sense of belonging. We’re incredibly proud to be recognised as one of the top 5 best places to work in the UK for two years running, as per Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Award.
About the role:
Want to be part of a business with 22% growth last year? Are you looking to make a real impact on how science can make life changing discoveries? Does change and transformation excite you? Then read on!
Abcam are a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, with a global reputation for high performance products with detailed technical specifications. As we continue to evolve our data management, we now have an opportunity to lead our Data Engineering team who are located in Cambridge, Amsterdam and the US. This role is responsible for the delivery of their core objectives within Abcam Digital. It requires an individual who can work with other engineers and analysts to create solutions which integrate with our products.
In this role you will:
- Inspire best practice for data products and services within your teams.
- Build data engineering capability by providing technical leadership and career development for the community
- Work with other senior team members to identify, plan, develop and deliver data services including developing a new Enterprise Data Platform.
- Work with other senior Digital team members to identify, plan, develop and deliver data services
- Ensure that data is managed and analysed in a secure, efficient and well-governed manner
- Lead the team to establish new data sources, writing data pipelines and transforming and enriching it using the most efficient approach
- Lead data engineers ensuring quality of delivery as well as in depth understanding of business requirements
- Work closely with data architects and other stakeholders to build integrated, high performing solutions
- Demonstrate thought leadership in the function, constantly improving and evolving the performance
- Apply pragmatism combined with innovative thinking to achieve new and value adding approaches
- Provide progress and feedback to the business and within technology on delivery and technical compromise
- Be a full member of the Data & Advanced Analytics leadership team and work collaboratively with this team and the wider Abcam Digital leadership team to address issues with software and integration delivery.
You have a BSc in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics or a related subject and have experience leading a team of data engineers. You will be capable of designing, implementing and operating end-to-end data pipelines, excellent knowledge of Data Warehouse and Enterprise Data Platform Technology along with hand-on experience of Python and SQL.
As we move towards a more cloud based environment, you will have dealt with either AWS or Azure (possibly with GCP) along with professional experience with Big Data and Analytics tools. Your track record of project delivery will be enhanced by your experience of delivering digital transformation initiatives and ability to influence and adapt to change.
Along with experience in data modelling (conceptual, logical, physical) and your strong communication skills, you will be able to advise on future technology changes and think creatively about how to solve issues. You will have eCommerce experience and able to use your strong Agile methodologies. If you are TOGAF or equivalent qualified, it could be an advantage but not essential.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast-paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences, please apply now!
We know that when it comes to benefits, no one size fits all. Flexibility and choice matter which is why we offer all kinds of ways to enable you and your loved ones to be well and live well. You can expect;
- A culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development. We provide a wide range of training opportunities, for both professional and personal development.
- The freedom to work in a way that works for you, with a focus on maximising productivity and innovation at work whilst reducing environmental impact.
- A performance-based share plan, inspiring and rewarding our people as we deliver Abcam’s strategy.
- Attractive and flexible package including 158 days full paid maternity leave which will increase for subsequent children.
We offer a truly inclusive environment where you can bring your whole self to work. This is underpinned by our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) and our partnerships with WORK180 (endorsed employer for women) and MyGwork (LGBT+ professional community). All our positions are open as a Job Share, where two talented professionals can share the responsibility of a full time position. You can declare your interest in a job share role within the application form.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you’re interested in this particular role then we’d love to read your application.