Salary: Band 9 £36,390 - £42,207 per annum (Increasing to £36,696 - £42,564 from September 2023 following a transitional pay award period)
Location: Hybrid - working from Forth Banks Police Station, Newcastle, and home
Ever wondered what it’s like working behind the scenes for one of the UK’s largest Police Forces? Here at Northumbria Police, we are extremely excited to be able to offer an amazing opportunity to come and join us, in our Digital Policing team. Playing a key role in maintaining and improving the quality of policing services is technology. Information and communication systems are deployed and in use across the Force to help ensure that accurate and reliable information is made available to those who need it, when they need it and where they need it.
Agile working patterns apply to this position where informal agile working arrangements will be available as agreed with the vacancy manager and in line with the requirements of the role.
As a Data Engineer you will assist in the design, creation, support of monitoring of the Force data structures and models, supporting strategic data management. You will play an integral part in the development and support of our central data hub. This will involve developing both new and existing data pipelines using appropriate technologies as well as helping to provide extensive data quality and integrity checking for each pipeline and the hub itself.
What will I be doing?
- Deliver data integration solutions from Exact Transform Load (ETL) processing into data structures including design and development of reusable metadata.
- Perform and support Extract Transform Load (ETL) processing for the Force’s data interoperability needs. Triage existing ETL processes including, but not limited to, Stored Procedures, Packages, Functions and Cursors, and new ETL process technology.
- Provide support and advice to ensure effective and sustainable use of data within projects and initiatives. Support assigned data and information projects, ensuring that data and information provision meets the needs of the Force in a responsive and secure manner.
- Assist in Identifying opportunities for innovation through existing or future data capabilities.
What do I need?
- A degree, HND or equivalent qualification, and/or have significant relevant experience
- Proven data analysis and delivery experience in data integration environments such as a data warehousing, lakes, and enterprise service bus.
- Experience using Microsoft SQL and PowerShell to deliver ETL solutions Experience of relational and multi-dimensional data models
- Proven experience of relational data base technologies, e.g. Oracle, SQL Server
- Experience of handling multiple data types beyond traditional RDMS, CDC and file types.
- Knowledge of data interoperability and Integration frameworks and ETL best practice
- Experience of orchestration, logging, monitoring and alerting solutions.
- Knowledge of master data management
- Knowledge of data life-cycle management Knowledge of Ethical Standards Framework
- Experience of data conformity methods in relation to enterprise data management
- Experience of using an ITSM tool
- 26 days’ leave, excluding bank holidays, increasing to 30 days for 5 years+ service
- Enhanced Maternity, Shared Parental and Adoption leave
- Flexi Time Scheme - allowing you to fit your working hours around your individual needs
- Agile working - option to work from home, your team zone, and spaces across the force
- Fantastic market leading public sector pension scheme
- Corporate Travel schemes - local rail, bus services and metro
- Access to Private Healthcare and Eye Test Vouchers
- Discounts on shopping and eating out thanks to the Blue Light Card and Blue Light Tickets
- Also, to take care of your physical and mental well-being, we’ve invested in extensive paid sick leave, trained mental health first aiders on-site, an employee advice service and access to gyms in some stations
- Sports & Social Club - join our thriving sports scene at Team NP and enjoy further exclusive discounts on days out and travel
- Cycle to work scheme
Terms and Conditions
Vetting Level - Recruitment Vetting (RV)
Applicants must be a resident of the UK for a minimum period of 3 years to ensure vetting checks can be successfully performed. A job offer will be dependent upon vetting clearance, medical information and references.
Please note this is a newly published pay banding subject to consultation at Northumbria Police.
If you are successful in your application, you will have a 6-month probation period with us where you will be unable to apply for any other post advertised internally or externally.
Northumbria Police fully supports a policy of equal opportunities and we welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community, regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation. Appointments are based on merit alone.