Sr. Data Engineer – BI Engineering
The primary purpose of this role is to translate business requirements and functional specifications into logical program designs and to deliver modules, stable application systems, and Data or Platform solutions. This includes developing, configuring, or modifying complex integrated business and/or enterprise infrastructure or application solutions within various computing environments. This role facilitates the implementation and maintenance of complex business and enterprise Data or Platform solutions to ensure successful deployment of released applications.
BI Engineering Responsibilities
- Translates complex cross-functional business requirements and functional specifications into logical program designs, modules, stable application systems, and data solutions; partners with Product Team to understand business needs and functional specifications
- Collaborates with cross-functional teams to ensure specifications are converted into flexible, scalable, and maintainable solution designs; evaluates project deliverables to ensure they meet specifications and architectural standards
- Guides development teams in the design and build of complex Data or Platform solutions and ensures that teams are in alignment with the architecture blueprint, standards, target state architecture, and strategies
- Coordinates, executes, and participates in component integration (CIT) scenarios, systems integration testing (SIT), and user acceptance testing (UAT) to identify application errors and to ensure quality software deployment
- Participates and coaches others in all software development end-to-end product lifecycle phases by applying and sharing an in-depth understanding of complex company and industry methodologies, policies, standards, and controls
- Has solid grasp of software design patterns and approaches; understands application level software architecture; makes technical trade-off decisions at application level
- Automates and simplifies team development, test, and operations processes; develops detailed architecture plans for large scale enterprise architecture projects and drives the plans to fruition
- Solves complex architecture/design and business problems; solutions are extensible; works to simplify, optimize, remove bottlenecks, etc.
- Provides mentoring and guidance to more junior level engineers; may provide feedback and direction on
- Executes the development, maintenance, and enhancements of production quality BI solutions of varying complexity levels across different data sources like DBMS, File systems (structured and unstructured) on-prem and cloud infrastructure; creates level metrics and other complex metrics; use custom groups, consolidations, drilling, and complex filters, defining and managing security roles
- Excels in one or more domains; understands pipelines and business metrics and develops expertise on cloud-based BI stacks
- Demonstrates database skill (Teradata/Oracle/Db2/Hadoop) by writing views for business requirements; uses freeform SQLs and pass-through functions; analyzes and finds errors from SQL generation; creates RSD and dashboard
- Builds, tests and enhances BI solutions from a wide variety of sources like Teradata, Hive, Hbase, Google Big Query and File systems; develops solutions with optimized data performance and data security
- Works with business analysts to understand requirements and create dashboard/dossiers wireframes; makes use of widgets and Vitara charts to make the dashboard/dossiers visually appealing
- Experience with Microstrategy API development, integrating data, datasets, metrics with external solutions specific engineering tasks
- Bachelor\'s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, CIS, or related field (or equivalent work experience in a related field)
- 5 years of experience in Data, BI or Platform Engineering, Data Warehousing/ETL, or Software Engineering
- 4 years of experience working on project(s) involving the implementation of solutions applying development life cycles (SDLC)
- Master\'s Degree in Computer Science, CIS, or related field
- 5 years of IT experience developing and implementing business systems within an organization
- 5 years of experience working with defect or incident tracking software
- 5 years of experience writing technical documentation in a software development environment
- 3 years of experience working with an IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) framework
- 3 years of experience leading teams, with or without direct reports
- 5 years of experience working with source code control systems
- Experience working with Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment tools
- 5 years of experience in systems analysis, including defining technical requirements and performing high level design for complex solutions
- Expertise in MicroStrategy/Power BI/SQL, Scripting, Teradata or equivalent RDBMS, Hadoop (OLAP on Hadoop), Dashboard development, Mobile development (specific to the BI Engineering role)
Lowe’s Companies, Inc. (NYSE: LOW) is a FORTUNE® 50 home improvement company serving approximately 18 million customers a week in the United States and Canada. With fiscal year 2019 sales of $72.1 billion, Lowe’s and its related businesses operate or service more than 2,200 home improvement and hardware stores and employ approximately 300,000 associates. Based in Mooresville, N.C., Lowe’s supports its hometown Charlotte region and all communities it serves through programs focused on creating safe, affordable housing and helping to develop the next generation of skilled trade experts. For more information, visit Lowes.com.
About Lowe’s in the Community:
As a FORTUNE® 50 home improvement company, Lowe’s is committed to creating safe, affordable housing and helping to develop the next generation of skilled trade experts through nonprofit partnerships. Across every community we serve, Lowe’s associates donate their time and expertise through the Lowe’s Heroes volunteer program. For the latest news, visit Newsroom.Lowes.com or follow @LowesMedia on Twitter.
Lowe’s is an equal opportunity employer and administers all personnel practices without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, age, ancestry, national origin, mental or physical disability or medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other category protected under federal, state, or local law.