Tessian protects every business’s mission by securing the human layer 💫
We're building intelligent security that works for human beings as they are, not how security policies would like them to be. Using machine learning technology, Tessian automatically predicts and eliminates advanced threats on email caused by human error - like data exfiltration, accidental data loss, business email compromise and phishing attacks - with minimal disruption to employees' workflow. As a result, employees are empowered to do their best work, without security getting in their way. You can read more about Human Layer Security here.
Tessian has raised a $74m Series C led by renowned security investors, March Capital (Crowdstrike, Knowbe4), with follow-on from Sequoia, Accel, Balderton, Latitude, Okta, Sozo, Citi & Schroder Adveq, to further our mission to secure the human layer.
Founded in 2013, Tessian is backed by world-class venture capital investors, has hubs in London, San Francisco, Boston, and Austin, and London, and is one of the Top-3 2021 Best Places to Work for Women.
Data Engineering at Tessian
As a high-growth scale-up, our email datasets are growing at an exponential rate. This is a great problem to have as it allows us to train best-in-class machine learning models to prevent previously unpreventable data breaches. We are facing interesting challenges with scaling our data processing pipelines and MLOps.
You will sit in our Data Engineering and work day-to-day with our Data Scientists to build out infrastructure and data pipelines empowering teams to iterate quickly on terabytes of data. We view this role as a hugely impactful, high-leverage role and strongly believe that if we can query all of our data, in near real-time and using scalable systems then we can deliver more value to our clients through the data breaches we prevent.
We can hire this role to be office based or hybrid from our London office, or offer full remote working within the UK.
We cannot offer visa sponsorship/relocation or remote working outside of the UK for this position.
Some interesting projects we’re working on:
- Building an Ingestion system to process Insights from different models using Kafka and Spark
- Designing the next generation data-lake setting ourselves up to handle massive future scale using modern formats like Apache Iceberg
- Creating a framework allowing us to standardise how we deploy all our ML models to production
We'd love to meet someone who:
- You are a highly-skilled developer (5-8 years) who understands software engineering best practices (git, CI/CD, testing, reviewing, etc) and infrastructure as code principles.
- You have experience working with distributed data systems such as Spark
- You’ve designed and deployed data pipelines and ETL systems for data-at-scale
- You have a deep knowledge of the AWS ecosystem and have managed AWS production environments
- You have experience with scheduling systems like Airflow
- Ideally you’ve been involved in machine learning infrastructure projects from automated training through to deployment
- Has an ability to break down ambiguous problems into concrete, manageable components and think through optimal solutions
- Enjoys “getting their hands dirty” by digging into complex operations
- Takes a high degree of ownership over their work
- Is a clear communicator with professional presence
- Has strong listening skills; open to input from other team members and departments
On a day-to-day basis you'll get to
- Building systems to efficiently handle our ever increasing volume of data
- Designing and implementing data pipelines as well as owning the vision of what our systems could achieve in the future
- Working with Data Scientists to train, version, test, deploy and monitor our machine learning models in production
- Designing systems to expose data to our product and engineering teams in a performant way
Why we think you'll love it here 😍....
It’s important to us that all Tessians are part of the journey we’re on, so we offer equity options with every role and benchmark to provide above market rate salaries - there’s plenty more too….
Be at your best, both inside and outside of work
• 25 days of paid holiday (plus 8 bank holidays, and an additional day for every year you've worked at Tessian!)
• Private health insurance provided through Vitality Health and mental health support through our Employee Assistance Program
• Up to 60 days of working abroad, limited to 30 days per trip a year
• Spill - employee mental health support through Slack
• Classpass - subsided access to gym time and classes all across London
• Choice First: Do your best work, in the way that works best for you
• Flexible working hours and working from home (if you're not already remote!)
• Enhanced pension contributions, matched up to 5%
• We’re family friendly, with policies built to support you in all stages of life
• High-quality tech kit provided for you to work on, plus Tessian ANC headphones
• If you're relocating to join the team, we'll provide a contribution to help with your costs
• Fertility support via Carrot covering adoption, surrogacy support, fertility treatments, support during pregnancy and more
• Elite membership of the Tessian House System...
• Every other Wednesday we get together to share team updates and drinks
• Monthly team socials & a big, whole company extravaganza every quarter
• Never-ending ping-pong tournaments
,,,and here are another 200 reasons!
Equality & diversity ⚖️
Our mission to empower and protect people is a reflection of two of our values: Human First and We Do the Right Thing. For us, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is also a reflection of these core values.
As a human first company, we are committed to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment where all our Tessians have the opportunity to thrive. We strive for a better Tessian, and a better world. We're working inside and outside Tessian to improve diversity and equity in our industry, and foster an environment where everyone feels a sense of belonging.
Our strategy touches each part of a Tessian’s life cycle, from applicant to employee, ensuring that we keep DEI at the core of every point in our candidate and employee experience. Read more about our DEI commitments here.
Obligatory small print
Please note that we do not accept applications or résumés from recruiters. Any unsolicited CVs, profiles, or names, submitted in any format, by any channel, to any of our team, will be deemed to fall outside any terms and/or conditions with either the person submitting the information or their company of employment/representation.
Please note, that any job offers will be subject to the candidate passing background screening checks.
We're a #LI-Remote company offering Choice First working practices where possible.