We’re looking for a Lead Data Scientist to build and run our new analytics function at Lidl GB. You will support our senior management team to improve operational processes and to take better strategic decisions by employing advanced analytical methods.
You will be working closely with our Business Intelligence and Business Partnering teams, and you’ll be in regular contact with our International Head Office in Germany and local Analytics teams in a variety of Lidl countries. This collaboration will see you develop your local analytics team, roll out international data analytics products and support local testing.
Your business acumen, strong knowledge of machine learning methods and experience in big data technologies will be put to good use as the analytics lead for Lidl GB.
What you'll do
- As the central analytics contact for all departments, you’ll work closely with senior management and support all national operational departments in deriving and solving analytical issues, either through deep-dive analysis or developing local analytical solutions.
- Together with colleagues, you will conduct PoCs using the latest algorithms and technologies. In doing so, you will leverage our comprehensive and modern Big Data platform in the cloud and incorporate data from various internal and external sources to gain new insights to solve real business problems.
- In pilots, you will demonstrate the functionality and business value of the models in practice. In doing so, you will be responsible for providing technical guidance to the Analytics team on the implementation of Analytics questions. Proper interpretation and use of data sources and feature engineering are also important parts of the role.
- As part of Lidl's global Analytics community, you’ll exchange ideas with experts from different countries, scale your results on an international level and test models from other teams.
- Together with colleagues from IT, you will prepare the transition to industrialization and support the rollout
- Manage and support the development of your team
What you'll need
- Experience in the management of analytics projects, e.g. in a consultancy or startup
- Ability to understand complex business issues, to translate them into technical questions, to derive conclusions for a non-technical audience and to present them
- Very good knowledge of machine learning, optimization and statistics methods and their implementation in Python with common frameworks (e.g. PySpark, scikit-learn, Tensorflow, PyTorch, statsmodels, PuLP, Pyomo)
- Structured and goal-oriented way of working, hands-on mentality
- Technical knowledge of data platforms and infrastructures (e.g. DataBricks, Azure, GCP) is a plus
- Strong ability to understand complex problems and scenarios, and analysing them in detail
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and to deliver accurate results
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work well in a team
- Self-motivated and proactive individual with a can-do attitude and the ability to work on projects and solve problems independently
- Bachelors, Masters or PhD Degree in data science, mathematics, statistics, computer science, physics or similar
- German language skills are not essential, but would be advantageous
As part of your Cover Letter please demonstrate past experience in managing projects.
What you'll receive
This isn't getting by. This is getting what you deserve. Working at Lidl is rewarding, in every sense, because we give you the training to succeed in your role and plenty of opportunities to progress your career here. We're proud to offer a competitive salary (depending on experience) with an additional non-contractual 10% London weighting and a generous holiday allowance. Save for your future with our pension scheme, or save today with an in-store discount, plus extra discounts on days out, cinema tickets and much more.
Currently the role is based in Wimbledon, but we will be moving from early 2022 into our brand new head office, Lidl House, in Tolworth. It's light, spacious and has state of the art breakout spaces, an on-site barista and gym and much more, making it the perfect place to meet colleagues and achieve your potential. We also have a hybrid working model with a mixture of in-office work and remote working.
Please note your employment is conditional upon the Company's receipt of satisfactory references and if requested by the Company, a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service check.
Disclaimer: due to the high volume of applications we receive, we reserve the right to close a vacancy earlier than the advertised date. This is to ensure our teams can manage application levels while maintaining a positive candidate experience. Once a vacancy has closed, we are unable to consider further applications, so please submit your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.