Data Scientist – Compliance AnalyticsKnown internally as Manager, Research and Development, Compliance Analytics
London / Edinburgh- HYBRID
Some Careers Offer Brighter Prospects Than Others.
If you’re looking for a career that will help you stand out, join HSBC and fulfil your potential. Whether you want a career that could take you to the top, or simply take you in an exciting new direction, HSBC offers opportunities, support and rewards that will take you further.
Do you want to use your skills to help prevent Financial Crime across the globe? At HSBC Global Compliance Analytical team, we’re leveraging our knowledge and strength and investing in emerging technological change to identify financial crime across the bank. We are building a world-class organisation capable of high-paced, end-to-end transformation centred around our customers. We need innovative thinkers and doers to help deliver our ambition.
We invest in our people and have an exciting data science management role in our Compliance team. If you decide to join us, we will support your growth and development and provide you with the opportunity to be part of a significant transformation. With the world’s global bank, you will get the chance to work with and influence a wide range of businesses in the 50+ countries and territories where we operate across retail, commercial and global banking. You’ll play a strategic role in driving enhancements that will significantly improve the control framework within Financial Crime Compliance.
As an HSBC employee in the group function, you will have access to tailored professional development opportunities and a competitive pay and benefits package. This includes private healthcare for all UK-based employees, enhanced maternity and adoption pay and support when you return to work, and a contributory pension scheme with a generous employer contributionIn this role, you will:
- Working as part of a team, the role holder will, using advanced analytical skills, develop the HSBC Group’s new financial intelligence platform, through which it intends to pro-actively search for financial crime risks not detected by the Group’s current suite of financial crime systems.
- Working at the leading edge of analytics, the role requires the job holder to apply the best possible combination of applied mathematics, statistics, advanced computing (machine learning, artificial intelligence), visualisation and data engineering to the area of combatting financial crime. Those of the above skills which the role holder does not currently bring to the role, will need to be developed.
- The role holder will bring the ability to work with extremely large, complex data sets. The ability to merge large data sets, to generate insight from those data sets and to be able to visualise those insights for both technical and non-technical audiences and users.
- The role holder must demonstrate a strong desire to develop and use technical skills. The role holder will be writing code for the application of advanced analytics in the area financial crime risk and must be able to critically interpret and analyse the results produced.
- The role holder must be able and willing to use advanced computing assets in order to achieve real practicable results. The candidate must be able to handle areas of uncertainty. The role holder must have a demonstrable interest and capability in computer sciences and new technology.
To be successful in the role, you should meet the following requirements:
You’ll achieve more when you join HSBC.
- Master’s degree/PHD in a quantitative discipline (math, statistics, economics, computer science) preferred
- Experience with data curation, ETL process, managing and supporting complex data pipelines
- Experience in predictive modelling, data science, and analysis in an ML engineer or data scientist role
- Experience with data scripting languages (e.g., SQL, Python, R)
- Experience in data visualization, leveraging Tableau, PowerBI, Qlik and/or Spotfire,
- Demonstrated ability to influence and drive internal and external stakeholders to a decision in a matrixed corporate environment
- Ability to generate and execute on creative ideas to the compliance program
- Excellent project management and time management skills
- Ability to tailor content, presentation, and language to various audiences
- Actively embraces new ways of thinking and practices that increase efficiency and effectiveness.
- Experience leveraging analytics to address compliance risks
- The role is part of a small, but growing, team and will be expected to play a major part in defining and delivering the continued evolution of this capability within the wider context of Financial Crime Risk.
As a business operating in markets all around the world, we believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why HSBC is committed to being an inclusive employer and encourages applications from all suitably qualified applicants irrespective of ethnicity, religion, age, physical or mental disability/long term health condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by local law in the jurisdictions in which we operate. Within the workplace you will have access to various employee resource groups which seek to promote and achieve a healthy work / life balance and support our diversity ambitions. HSBC has in place processes in order to avoid nepotism, which means to avoid crafting circumstances in which the appearance or possibility of conflicts of interest may exist within the hiring process.
When joining HSBC Compliance Analytics group function, you will become a valued member of our team, we take the time to get to know you and there will be many tailored development opportunities along the way to support your career to grow as much as you want. We can offer you a competitive pay and benefits package. This includes private healthcare for all UK-based employees, improved maternity, shared parental and adoption pay, and support when you return to work, and a contributory pension scheme with a generous employer contribution. But this is only the start, we work closely with our colleagues to understand their life balance needs, and we support them with several schemes and initiatives. We can’t wait to tell you about our ways of working, wellbeing agenda and our healthiest human system!
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.Recruitment Helpdesk:
Telephone: +44 2078328500