At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Bristol Myers Squibb seeks a hardworking individual to contribute to groundbreaking informatics and data management initiatives in Research and Early Development (R/ED). This hands-on role interfaces closely with scientists in the Chemistry and Informatics and Predictive Sciences groups working to identify novel therapies. We are seeking an individual with extensive experience integrating data and building data solutions to make data accessible and relevant for the R/ED community.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Work with multi-functional teams to design and build a cloud-based, integrated data platform to facilitate the identification of novel therapeutic compounds with machine learning.
- Design and develop an ETL infrastructure and processes to load public and proprietary data from multiple source systems using languages and frameworks such as Python, Java, R, Docker, Airflow, Glue, etc.
- Contribute to the design, and lead implementation of an AWS based data storage and integration platform that may include relational, NoSQL and graph database components.
- Collaborate with analysts to deliver integrated data to machine learning pipelines.
- Collaborate with the project manager, solution architect, infrastructure team, and external vendors as needed to support successful delivery of technical solutions.
Experience and Education
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant area with at least 14 years’ experience, Master’s degree with at least 12 years’ experience or PhD with at least 6 years’ experience in biomedical data management, assay development, specimen data management or related subject area.
- Demonstrated high proficiency with current software engineering methodologies, such as Agile SDLC approaches, distributed source code control, project management, issue tracking, and CI/CD tools and processes.
- Excellent skills in object-oriented programming languages such as Python and Java, proficiency in SQL and familiarity with R.
- Proficiency in cloud computing. Preference will be given to candidates with experience building with and/or using AWS analytics and data storage services and working with analytics engines such as Spark.
- Proficiency in relational data modeling techniques.
- Proficiency with predictive modeling approaches and/or preparing data for predictive modeling is preferred.
- Proficiency processing and/or analyzing large public or proprietary biological patient and assay datasets including transcriptomic, proteomic, and small molecule datasets is preferred.
- Along with programming proficiency, must have a strong capacity for independent thinking and the ability to grasp underlying biological questions.
- Must be effective in a dynamic environment while adapting to changing priorities, and have excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Must have excellent time management and interpersonal skills.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.