Data Scientist - Strategy, Analytics and Insights
From the beginning, Starbucks set out to be a different kind of company . Our mission, to inspire and nurture the human spirit, one person, one cup, one neighbourhood at a time has never been more relevant and important. As Starbucks Canada enters a period of exceptional growth and transformation, the Starbucks Strategy, Analytics and Insights team will work with partners across the business to inform, envision and enable the future of Starbucks in Canada, impacting nearly 20,000 partners and millions of Canadian customers.
As a Data Scientist on the Strategy, Analytics and Insights team you will . . .
Be part of a team that grounds every decision we make in truth and insight, builds and operationalizes the strategic plan and helps the Canadian business and its partners unlock innovation and growth. This job contributes to Starbucks success by procuring, mining and converting complex data into business driving intelligence. By partnering with data scientists, analysts, and partners across functions, this position enriches domestic customer, partner and market understanding. Leveraging tools and techniques, this role harnesses the power of customer intelligence and democratizes it across teams, uniting partners under one shared truth.
In this role, you will help ensure analytics and insight are at the heart of every decision we make. Summary of responsibilities (but not limited to):
- Analytics Project Leadership: Supports complex analytical projects, up to and including hypothesis generation, data mining, exploratory data analysis, experimental design, control strategy development, causal measurement and presentation of results and recommendations to leadership.
- Approach Design: Works with key stakeholders to determines analytics approach to solve business problems. Develops project proposals, gains stakeholder alignment.
- Consultation : Understands business initiatives and serves as primary analytics resource in discussions with business partners to define business questions
- Data Mining: Mine, cleanse and manipulate large-scale, complex data from a variety of systems (AWS, Azure, Oracle, on prem, web tool, etc.).
- Research: Where required supports primary research in support of business priorities in partnership with key stakeholders
- Automation: Employs scaling & automation to data preparation techniques
- Data Democratization: Drives creation of final insight presentations by translating model outputs into formats that are digestible to the end users through visualization, tables, and/or thoughtful presentations. Assist technical and non-technical end users in how to leverage and interpret the analysis.
- Vendor & Budget Management: As required, engages and manages external vendors and associated budgets in support of key projects.
We’d love to hear from people with the following experience:
- Incoming Experience: Minimum 3 years’ experience within data analysis field. - Education: MS+ preferred with concentration in quantitative discipline - Stats, Math, Comp Sci, Engineering, Econ, Quantitative Social Science or similar discipline
- Cross Functional Partnership: Experience working with a variety of stakeholder groups in support of approach design, analyses and output presentation.
- Cloud Tech: Demonstrated experience with cloud tech for data and analytics solutions (Azure, AWS)
- Modeling & Machine Learning: Advanced competency and expertise in at least one Modeling & Machine Learning Techniques (regression, tree models, survival analysis, cluster analysis, forecasting, anomaly detection, association rules, etc.)
- Analytic Languages: Advanced competency and expertise in at least one Analytic Language (R, SAS, SPSS, Stata) with exposure and business-applicable experience in additional languages
- Data ETL: Competency and expertise in at least one Data ETL helpful (Teradata, Oracle, SQL, Python, Java, Ruby, Pig) with exposure and business-applicable experience in additional languages
- Data Visualization: Comfortable working in Tableau and Power BI
This role will be posted until October 26th, 2021.
Starbucks and its brands are an equal opportunity employer of all qualified individuals.
We are committed to creating a diverse and welcoming workplace that includes partners with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We believe that enables us to better meet our mission and values while serving customers throughout our global communities. People of color, women, LGBTQIA+, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with all federal, provincial and local ordinances. Starbucks Corporation is committed to offering reasonable