Mediavine is seeking a Senior Data Engineer to join our Engineering team. We are looking for someone who enjoys solving interesting problems and wants to work with a small team of talented engineers on a product used by thousands of publishers.
Mediavine is a fast-growing advertising management company representing over 8,000 websites in the food, lifestyle, DIY, and entertainment space. Founded by content creators, for content creators, Mediavine is a Top 20 Comscore property, exclusively reaching over 125 million monthly unique visitors. With best-in-class technology and a commitment to traffic quality and brand safety, we ensure optimal performance for our creators.
Mission & Culture
We help content creators build sustainable businesses. From educational tools and cutting-edge plugins to ad technology that maximizes earnings without slowing down your site, our motivation is ensuring your brand and business grow in every respect.
We are striving to build an inclusive and diverse team of highly talented individuals that reflects the industries we serve and the world we live in. We are committed to creating a culture where everyone feels welcomed. We are looking for individuals that will challenge us to continuously evolve and make Mediavine the employer of choice for people of all backgrounds. We strongly encourage minorities and individuals from underrepresented groups in technology to apply for this position.
Diversity and inclusion aren't platitudes to us; we take them seriously. Have a look at our team and read through our blog posts to learn more about our values and to discover if Mediavine is the place for you!
Position Title & Overview
The Data & Analytics team consists of data analysts, data engineers and analytics engineers working to build the most effective platform and tools to help uncover opportunities and make decisions with data here at Mediavine. We partner with Product, Support, Ad Operations and other teams within the Engineering department to understand behavior, develop accurate predictors and build solutions that provide the best internal and external experience possible.
A Senior Data Engineer at Mediavine will help build and maintain our data infrastructure. Building scalable data pipelines, managing transformation processes, and ensuring data quality and security at all steps along the way. This will include writing and maintaining code in Python and SQL, developing on AWS, and selecting and using third-party tools like Rundeck, Metabase, and others to round out the environment. You will be responsible for informing and making decisions around tool selection and standards.
Our current data engineering toolkit consists of custom Python etl, Ruby On Rails legacy pipelines, AWS infrastructure including Kinesis pipelines, Rundeck scheduling, dbt for transformation and Snowflake as our data warehouse platform. We are open to new tools and expect this position to play a major in the direction we take.
- Create data pipelines that make data available for analytic and application use cases
- Develop self-healing, resilient processes that do not require constant care and feeding to run smoothly
- Create meaningful data quality notifications with clear actions for different interested parties including other internal teams and other members of the data and analytics team
- Drive the data engineering roadmap including leading projects through all phases
- Support data analysts and analytics engineers ability to meet the needs of the organization
- Lead code reviews, implementing standards, ensuring test coverage and recommending best practices to other members of the team
- Build or implement tooling around data quality, governance and lineage, mostly in the dbt framework but external to that as needed
- Provide next level support when data issues are discovered and communicated by the data analysts
- Work with data analysts and analytics engineers to standardize transformation logic in the dbt layer for consistency and ease of exploration by end users
- Enable analytics engineers and analysts by providing data modeling guidance, query optimization and aggregation advice
- Mentor more junior members of the team
- Must currently live in the United States.
- 7+ years of experience in a data engineering role
- Strong Python skills (Understand tradeoffs, optimization, etc)
- Extremely strong SQL skills (CTEs, window functions, optimization)
- Structure data to enable internal and external facing analytics.
- Containerization experience (Docker, Kubernetes, etc.)
- Experience working with DevOps to deploy, scale and monitor data infrastructure
- Scheduler experience either traditional or DAG based
- Experience with dbt
- Comfortable working with multi-TB cloud data warehouses (Big Query, Snowflake, Redshift)
- Experience with web analysis such as creating data structure that support product funnels, user behavior, and decision path analysis
Nice to haves:
- Experience with data science, machine learning, especially automated platforms like TensorFlow, SageMaker, etc.
- Knowledge of Ad Tech, Google Ad Manager and all of it’s fun quirks (so fun)
- The ability to make your teammates laugh (it wouldn’t hurt if you were fun to work with is what I’m saying)
- Familiarity with event tracking systems (NewRelic, Snowplow, etc)
- Experience with one or more major BI tools (Tableau, Looker, PowerBI, etc.)
- Remote work environment
- Travel opportunities (remember those!?)
- Comprehensive benefits including 401k, Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Learning allowance
- Generous Vacation/Time off policies
- Additional side benefits such as home-office upgrades, tuition reimbursement, paid gym memberships and wellness retreats, upgraded flights, cool swag and more
- Company match charitable donations
Mediavine is an Equal Opportunity Employer