Scientific American, the oldest continuously published magazine in the U.S., reaches millions of people each month through its print magazine, app, social media and on ScientificAmerican.com. We publish expert-written opinions and feature stories; news and feature articles by leading journalists; and award-winning graphics, art and multimedia. Our work is translated in more than 20 international magazine editions that are read around the world.
Job Title: Data Analyst, Scientific American
Location: NYC or DC – Hybrid working model
Reports to: VP Product + Technology, Scientific American
About The Springer Nature Group
Springer Nature opens the doors to discovery for researchers, educators, clinicians and other professionals. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals, platforms and technology solutions reach millions of people. For over 175 years our brands and imprints have been a trusted source of knowledge to these communities and today, more than ever, we see it as our responsibility to ensure that fundamental knowledge can be found, verified, understood and used by our communities – enabling them to improve outcomes, make progress, and benefit the generations that follow.
About Scientific American
Scientific American covers the most important and exciting research, ideas and knowledge in science, health, technology, the environment and society. It is committed to sharing trustworthy knowledge, enhancing our understanding of the world, and advancing social justice. Founded 1845, Scientific American is the oldest continuously published magazine in the United States. It has published articles by more than 200 Nobel Prize winners and reaches more than 6 million people around the world each month through its website, print and digital editions, newsletters and app. It reaches millions more through social media and other platforms.
About The Role
Our data analyst will partner with editorial, consumer marketing and product & technology teams to grow audience and revenue, and to inform high-impact strategic and operational decisions. You will build reports, conduct data analysis, and make actionable recommendations that impact our business and critical growth goals. This role will be focused on answering open-ended questions with data and meaningful analysis aimed at identifying solutions and opportunities. You will help us bring data and insights into our daily work and decision-making. This role will be the owner and expert on our behavioral data (Google Analytics and Segment), but will also consolidate and analyze other disparate sources of data (podcast downloads, advertising metrics, social metrics, revenue performance, etc.) and help shape how we integrate and use data going forward. This role is located in our New York City or Washington D.C. office on a hybrid working model.
- Help establish group KPIs, track and distribute results in real time or in regular intervals
- Partner with product and technology and marketing to ensure metrics are appropriately defined, implemented, and tested across our digital assets
- Design, build, and maintain key reports, dashboards and analyses utilizing tools (Google Analytics, BigQuery, Looker), R, Python, and other reporting and visualization tools
- Be familiar with data cleansing and transformations.
- Advise and fulfil ad-hoc analysis and requests.
- Advance and automate existing reports to reduce manual overhead.
- Assist various testing and optimization efforts by performing in-depth and ad-hoc analysis of information from multiple data sources (web analytics data, marketing data, newsletter data, subscription data, alternate platforms as well as external data) to assist data informed decision making at all levels
- Prepare and present a monthly report on performance and KPIS
- Support strategic decision-making of senior team with analysis and presentations
- Liaise with other analytics resources within Springer Nature to ensure coordination and implementation of best practices.
Experience, Skills & Qualifications
- BA/BS required with a strong analytical/quantitative background or equivalent experience (e.g. Data Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Econometrics, Physics, Computer Science etc.)
- 2+ years of data analytics experience, with a strong preference for experience in digital media web analytics
- Ability to tell a story with data
- A strong quantitative, creative, and problem-solving mindset
- Ability to multitask, prioritize projects, and meet deadlines.
- Working knowledge of SQL and Python
- Expertise with enterprise Web Analytics systems and media/ publishing industry experience is preferred
- Familiarity with analytics data products (e.g. Google suite: Datastudio, Looker, BigQuery, Dataform, Colab, Analytics, Google Tag Manager or equivalent from other vendors)
- Ability to learn and apply new systems, methodologies, and practices to improve day-to-day work
- Demonstrable experience of using data insights and analytics to add tangible value in media/publishing environments
- Excellent analytical problem solving capabilities
- Well organized and accurate with good time management
- Statistics, data science or coding experience is beneficial but not essential
Springer Nature US provides a comprehensive and competitive benefits package which includes the benefit offerings listed below:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- 401(k) with company match and contribution
- Hybrid office working policy, Summer Hours, and paid time off
- Flexible Spending and Commuter programs
- Multiple Life insurance options
- Disability coverage
- Tuition Assistance
- Voluntary benefits: Identity Theft Protection, Pet Insurance, and Legal Assistance Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Family friendly benefits and a variety of employee discounts
- An array of Employee Social Networks
US Annualized Base Salary Range: $85,000 - $100,000. The salary offer may vary based on work experience, education, skill level and equity. The US salary range does not align with the salary ranges in other countries when converted to the currency of that country.
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
Internal applicants: We encourage that you speak to your manager once the interview process has started. At the point of offer acceptance, it is required that you inform your manager. If for any reason you’re unable to do so, please contact HR who can provide guidance as required.
At Springer Nature we value the diversity of our teams. We recognize the many benefits of a diverse workforce with equitable opportunities for everyone. We strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.