We’re looking for a Mid-level Data Engineer to help us build the scalable operations, technology and processes needed to transform 5 million lives. This is an ideal opportunity for someone looking to join an early stage data team and help shape the function as we grow.About Octopus Money
At Octopus Money, we want to help millions of people take the first steps to making their life dreams a reality. We’re making it easier, cheaper and more exciting to get money advice from a real person – not just a robot.
Schools don’t teach money and society makes it taboo. So most of us have no idea the amazing things that are possible if we take small steps to make our money go further. Imagine being tens of thousands of pounds better off. We’re here to make it happen.
Through a combination of real, friendly people and really clever technology, we help you see where you stand today and build the plan for whatever you’re dreaming of.The role and opportunity
Be part of our dynamic team as a Data Engineer, collaborating closely with our Lead Data Engineer and Data Analyst. Together, we'll harness the potential of Amazon Web Services (AWS), Snowflake, and DBT to transform vast raw data into actionable insights, shaping the future of our industry with data-driven decisions.Day to day you will
- Design and develop data pipelines on AWS, integrating diverse data sources and formats with an emphasis on scalability and reliability.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to understand data requirements and design efficient solutions that optimise data processing and storage on AWS
- Implement data ingestion, transformation, and validation processes using AWS services such as Kinesis, Lambda and Glue
- Leverage Snowflake and DBT to build high-performance data processing and analytics solutions
- Develop and maintain data models, schemas, and data dictionaries to ensure data accuracy, consistency, and accessibility across the organisation
- Monitor and optimise the data platform infrastructure to ensure data pipeline reliability, scalability, and cost efficiency
- Adhere to industry data security and privacy standards and regulations.
- Collaborate with data analyst to ensure seamless integration of data engineering solutions into data analytics workflows
- Stay up to date with the latest AWS services, tools, and best practices to continuously enhance data engineering capabilities and drive innovation within the organisation
Collaborative and a great team player
We’ve built a great team of top performers, and you’ll leverage excellent communication and collaboration skills to work with others from across the business to identify problems, agree solutions and implement changes.Problem solver at heart with an analytical mindset
You should be someone who gets excited by complex problems and can find creative ways to solve them no matter what your level of knowledge and experience with the subject matter. You will have the ability to tackle complex data engineering challenges and develop a plan to move forward, without losing sight of the important details.Goal driven and not afraid to get stuck in
We like to set ambitious goals and find creative ways to hit them, even if that means rolling up our sleeves and doing manual tasks before we’ve managed to fully automate them. You should have a bias towards action and getting things done.Knowledge Required
Nice To Have (but Not Essential)
- 3+ years experience in a corporate or startup environment
- An understanding of data analysis and manipulation using SQL / Python
- Familiarity with data modelling (Kimball methodology) and database design
- Data warehouses, data lake concept, data extraction (ETL)
- Familiarity with Snowflake (or equivalent i.e. Redshift/Azure Analytics)
- Understanding of compliance, governance, security, GDPR
In return for your contribution we offer a base salary of £50,000 - £70,000 DOE + benefits
- Experience using Tableau and DBT
- Experience with big data processing frameworks (e.g. Apache Spark) and data serialisation formats (e.g., Avro, Parquet, JSON, etc.)
- Data mining and data analytics
- Financial services / FinTech experience
Please note, as a regulated business we are required to run background checks for all employees which covers adverse financial and unspent convictions. These will only take place upon a successful job offer.
About Octopus Group
Octopus is a group of companies which invests in the people, ideas and industries that will help to change the world. We collectively believe that the companies serving two of our most important needs – our financial wellbeing and our planet’s future – are failing. And we want that to change. We want everything we do, whether that’s in financial services or energy supply, to have a positive impact on the people it touches. The energy supply business - Octopus Energy is the #1 rated UK energy supply business, and the only one to be recommended by Which? three years in a row.Perks & Benefits
Make a difference
We're on a mission to help millions of people improve their finances. Seeing the impact we can make on our client's lives is deeply rewarding, and motivates the whole team to keep doing more to improve our service. Our client feedback is extremely positive, with a rating of 4.8 out of 5 on Vouchedfor.Flexible working
We currently operate a hybrid model which is a mix of office and remote. You'll have the option of working from home 2 days per week (Monday and Friday) with the remainder from our central London office in Holborn.Work from anywhere
We give an 18 day work from anywhere allowance to swap out the on site days or take some time working from another country. We give an 18 day work from anywhere allowance to swap out the on site days or take some time working from another country. Due to regulations this does not apply to individuals that give regulated financial advice.Join a great team
We're a diverse team with decades of experience in financial services and a proven track record. We don't like office politics, and believe in treating everyone with transparency and respect.Rapidly grow your career
We believe in hiring people who are better than us, and giving them opportunities to achieve great things. As we continue to scale up, there will be opportunities for ambitious new joiners to demonstrate their skills and take on bigger roles.Share incentive plan and team bonus
Being part of Octopus we benefit from the group share incentive plan. In addition, for those who are not commission based we offer a team bonus provided we meet our team goals.Pension, enhanced parental leave, private medical insurance & other benefits
As an Octopus Money employee you'll get access to a company pension, enhanced parental leave, PMI and other benefits to make sure you're healthy and happy, now and in the future!
--We believe in equal financial education for everybody, no matter their background. We pride ourselves on building an inclusive working environment where diversity is celebrated.
We do not and never will discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other protected characteristic.