Initial Posting Date:
Department of Transportation
$3,418 - $5,051
Traffic Data Analyst (Limited Duration)
Engineering Specialist 2 – Traffic Data Analyst
Oregon Department of Transportation
Policy, Data and Analysis Division
Transportation Data Section
ODOT is following the direction of the Governor's Office to help slow and prevent the spread of COVID-19. We are recruiting for agency critical positions at this time using virtual tools and processes such as video and phone interviewing to support social or physical distancing. We are also continuing to evaluate the situation and may extend or place recruitments on hold as appropriate. Current applicants for affected positions will be notified. Visit our COVID-19 web page for more information. For information about the statewide response, visit the Governor's COVID-19 web page .
This recruitment requires a resume and cover letter. If you do not attach your documents, we will not review your application.
The job: The traffic data analyst is responsible for analyzing, computing and summarizing traffic count data from statewide traffic monitoring programs.
As the successful candidate, you will assist in the production of ATR data to FHWA and with annual Transportation Volume Table publications. You will summarize manual vehicle classification counts taken on an as needed basis and used for traffic engineering investigations and studies.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
- This is a limited duration appointment that is expected to end on or before June 30, 2021. Limited duration appointments are benefits eligible and have a designated maximum length of service. This appointment has the potential to be extended or become permanent, if project continues.
- If you are a current State of Oregon employee, you must apply through your employee Workday profile.
- If you need to edit your job history in your Workday profile, after clicking Apply on the job posting, click the “Go to your profile” button on the right side of the screen.
- Please carefully read the 'How to Apply' section below, for required attachments and specific instructions on applying.
What you will be doing:
- Provides technical support of transportation engineering data development, maintenance, production and data review within Transportation Systems Monitoring Unit.
- Provides technical expertise for the use of TCM database containing transportation engineering data.
- Produce documentation on annual traffic data procedures.
- Analyzes and develops procedures for merging transportation data and databases
- Develop macros or scripts to support data review and validation
- Inputs, reviews, and generates reports from transportation engineering data.
- Transportation Volume Table (TVT) publication support.
- Data and text entry into 2019 TVT format.
- Review spreadsheets and maps.
- Support traffic flow map process.
- Provide support for publishing to web and outreach.
- Provide support for GIS file preparation.
- Compute and summarize manual vehicle classification counts.
- Respond to traffic count questions and data request from ODOT staff, other agencies, consultants and the public.
- Perform miscellaneous special assignments as requested. Provide support to State Traffic Count Engineer and Program Operations Lead.
- MS2 product testing
- Review source data after migration.
- Review new manual counts.
- Review training materials.
- Some bending, stooping and climbing ladders may be required.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
What’s in it for you:
- Rewarding work in a fast-paced, creative environment.
- Colleagues who are passionate about public service.
- Work/life balance and 10 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules and competitive benefits packages.
- Multi-modal ride sharing! Get There is Oregon’s easy-to-use carpool matching tool and trip planner that will get you where you need to go.
- Live, work and play in Salem, Oregon!
Interested in receiving notification of new ODOT job postings?
You must have:
- An associate's degree in engineering technology from a community college or technical school of engineering. AND
- Two (2) years of experience directly related to engineering.
- Three and one-half years (42 months) of sub-professional engineering experience.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Sub-professional experience is defined as working below the professional level but distinctly above the technical level and under the supervision or oversight of a professionally trained or licensed person.
Note: If you are currently a transportation maintenance specialist 2 (TMS2), in addition to your completed application, please attach section three of your TMS2 position description to receive full credit for your related work. If your experience includes work in multiple maintenance disciplines (e.g. highway, sign, bridge, striping or landscape) please attach section three of the position description for each of the relevant disciplines.
If you were an ODOT TMS2 in the past and/or do not have copies or access to your position descriptions, please contact Janelle Brown .
You will be required to use a vehicle to conduct business. You must possess and maintain a valid driver license and acceptable driving record. Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to be considered.
What we’re looking for:
If you have these attributes, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
- Must have good organizational and time management skills, and demonstrate effective communication (writing and verbal).
- Experience working with and managing traffic data (volumes, turning movements, classifications) is desired.
- Experience with agency source system TCM, FME and VBA.
- Exposure to MS2 traffic platform.
How to apply:
- Attach a resume. Your resume must include dates (MM/YYYY) for each employer.
- Attach a cover letter. Your cover letter must be limited to no more than two (2) pages and clearly demonstrate how your experience and training relates to the desired attributes above. Please address your cover letter to Transportation Data Manager Chris Wright. Generic cover letters and/or cover letters that do not address the desired attributes above will be graded as non-responsive. External applicants: you must upload your cover letter in the ‘Resume/CV’ section of the application.
- Complete questionnaire.
- After you submit your application, be sure to respond to the public records request (PRR) authorization and gender identity question. This screen will come after you submit and will complete the process. Employees: the tasks will come to your Workday inbox.
- If you are a veteran , the task to claim preference will come after the PRR and gender identity tasks. For privacy reasons , please do not attach your DD214/DD215/civil service preference letter to your application or combine it with any other required document attachments. We will ask you for your documents later in the process. If you need time to locate or order your documents from the VA, please contact the recruiter at the phone number or email under the ‘Need help?’ section below.
- For questions, call 503-378-8139 or email ODOTRecruitmentJB@odot.state.or.us .
The fine print:
- Warning! The system will timeout after 20 minutes of inactivity. You must submit your application after you begin the process. You cannot save your progress and come back to it later.
- We may also use other factors to help us decide who will move forward, such as your related work experience, your education and the overall professionalism of your application materials.
- If you are a veteran you may receive preference. If you checked that you are a veteran, we will ask you for your documents later in the process. It is important that you submit your documents as soon as you receive the request. If you need time or need to order your documents from the VA, please contact the recruiter at the phone number or email above. Do not attach your documents to your application when you submit.
- We do not offer Visa sponsorship. If you are hired, you will be required to fill out the US Department of Homeland Security’s I-9 form confirming you are able to work in the US.
- We will conduct name-based criminal background checks on final candidates, not including current ODOT employees. All applicants may be subject to additional pre-employment check(s) such as driver license, LEDS (Law Enforcement Data System), and/or education verification as required for the position.
- You will be represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Human Resources/Recruitment, MS12
355 Capitol St NE
Salem OR 97301-3871
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or any other class protected by state or federal laws in admission or access to our programs, services, activities, hiring, and employment practices. Applicants with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation during the application process. For questions, concerns, or complaints regarding EEO/AA/ADA, contact the employee civil rights and diversity manager at 1-877-336-6368 (1-877-EEO-ODOT). This information can be made available in an alternative format by contacting ODOT Recruitment at 503-986-3700. Oregon Relay Service can be reached by calling 7-1-1.