**Except where prohibited by applicable state law, this position requires that you be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless you need a reasonable accommodation or qualify for an exemption.**
If you find science, speed, and success exhilarating, you have come to the right place.
Novavax, Inc (Nasdaq:NVAX) is a biotechnology company that creates transformational vaccines that address some of the world’s most pressing infectious diseases. We have more than a decade of experience contending with some of the world’s most devastating diseases, including COVID-19, seasonal influenza, RSV, Ebola, MERS, and SARS. Hard-won lessons and significant advances illustrate that our proven technology has tremendous potential to make a substantial contribution to public health worldwide.
Our scientists are committed to developing vaccine candidates for some of the world’s toughest viral threats by utilizing the power of our innovative recombinant nanoparticle vaccine platform. Our vaccine technology combines the power and speed of genetic engineering with the immunogenicity enhancing properties of our Matrix-M™ adjuvant to efficiently produce highly immunogenic particles targeting some of the most pressing viral infectious diseases.
Novavax, Inc. is headquartered in Gaithersburg, Maryland with additional facilities in Uppsala, Sweden and Bohumil, Czech Republic.
Summary of the Position:
We are seeking a Data Scientist I (Contractor) to join our Data Science and Statistics team. This position will aid in positioning data science as a key competency within the company. You will be creating value from data assets using advanced analytics capabilities including data science, machine learning, and artificial intelligence methodologies to identify critical business risks and opportunities.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop data wrangling/ETL pipelines for more efficient and repeatable data science projects.
- Apply statistical analysis, data mining, and visualization techniques to various datasets to uncover relationships and generate hypotheses.
- Apply various ML and advanced analytics techniques to perform classification or prediction tasks to drive business impact and address identified needs in an agile manner.
- Evaluate, drive, and implement solutions from concept to minimum viable product and final product, including operationalizing and monitoring machine learning models.
- Interpret and communicate analytics results clearly and concisely to audiences with varying backgrounds and degrees of technical understanding.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering, or equivalent field.
- Coding knowledge and experience in several languages: for example, R, Python, Scala, C++, MATLAB, etc.
- Experience with popular database programming languages including SQL and PL/SQL.
- Knowledge and experience in statistical and data mining techniques: generalized linear model (GLM)/regression, random forest, boosting, trees, hierarchical clustering, deep learning, etc.
- Passion and proactiveness for applying state-of-the-art analytical methods to find solutions to complex business problems.
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary environment that includes (data) scientists, analysts, business stakeholders, and consultants.
- Excellent communication and effective problem-solving skills.
- Experience working in cloud-based environments is a plus.
- Domain knowledge in biology, chemistry, bioprocess engineering, or pharmaceuticals is a plus.
Novavax offers a base salary, annual bonus, equity grants, professional career development/growth opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, Rx, STD, LTD, Life, Optional Life, 401(k) plan.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Novavax is an equal employment opportunity employer. Employment and advancement opportunities are available to all individuals on an at-will basis, regardless of their race, color, national origin, religion, ancestry, citizenship status, military or veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, protective hairstyle, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)