Grainger is a global leading broad line supplier of facilities maintenance products serving businesses and institutions. Our 18,000 employees are driven to serve customers and the community in exceptional ways focusing on delivering the highest level of service. The Grainger team works closely with customers to better understand their challenges and provide cost-saving solutions. Grainger's employees serve customers more than 115,000 times every day through multiple channels. As part of a high-performing team, you’ll be able to develop your talents, and make a difference. Grainger is a Fortune 500 company and a perennial member of Fortune magazine's Most Admired Companies list.
Data Science application areas span across recommender systems, text search, product matching, SEO etc. Projects often encompass research, problem solving, data engineering, model development, testing, scaling, A/B testing and implementing in production for real-time applications.
Sr. Data Scientists helps develop dynamic solutions using statistical, machine learning and deep learning methodologies. They are responsible for conceptualizing, developing and deploying data science solutions in e-commerce and across multiple business areas and are expected to work with the team in a project with minimal supervision.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Participate in end-to-end data science project lifecycle – data mining and exploration, model development and evaluation, solution deployment in production, measurement and tracking of KPIs.
- Use machine learning, deep learning and statistical analytical techniques to create scalable real-time solutions for business problems.
- Conduct analysis of text data to understand the relationship between Grainger’s product assortment and user search queries, industries, and job functions.
- Transform data into actionable insights, recommendations and models. Present clear and concise results.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams and communicate results and ideas to key decision makers.
- Design, validate and evaluate solutions using Python, SQL, noSQL, shell commands and other programming tools and sometimes advanced data structures.
Preferred Education & Experience:
- Masters’ / PhD degree in a technical / quantitative field required (Data Science, Engineering, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics etc.)
- 3+ years of relevant recent Data Science work experience (excluding academic school projects)
- Advanced skills to work with large, complex, unstructured data (Data Engineering, exploring, analyzing, processing)
- Demonstrable proficiency in coding (Python, pyspark, Java/Scala) and programming concepts
- Experience in Deep Learning frameworks preferred in Pytorch, TensorFlow, Keras, ONNX or similar.
- Work in NLP with word2vec, fasttext, Transformers, BERT (familiar with huggingface library or similar).
- Familiarity with Nvidia GPU technology, CUDA and RAPIDS.
- Ability to build, test, and validate machine learning and deep learning applications including but not limited to, Regression, Classification, Clustering, kNN, CNN, RNN/LSTM, GNN, NLP, Text Mining etc.
- Experience in working with version control tools like git with github / bitbucket and writing shell scripts
- Experience with recommender systems is a plus
- Ability to mine and explore data to derive insights and business value.
- Have an experimenter mindset, good at note taking and keeping track of experiments and insights.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills but also displays soft skills, empathy and diplomacy.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities against deadlines.
- Curiosity, enthusiasm, positive attitude and passion to build.
- Willingness to learn and research new concepts and new technologies in quick Proof of Concepts.
- Team player with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status