Putting people first, every day
BDO is a firm built on a foundation of positive relationships with our people and our clients. Each day, our professionals provide exceptional service, helping clients with advice and insight they can trust. In turn, we offer an award-winning environment that fosters a people-first culture with a high priority on your personal and professional growth.
BDO Lixar is looking for a Data Analytics Consultant / Data Engineer
to join our growing client-facing team on a full-time permanent basis, with the ability to work remotely from anywhere in Canada. The individual will own the following responsibilities:
- Play an integral role in our delivery practice as we execute on enterprise level client engagements through our various industry specializations
- Engage directly with clients and drive the implementation and successful end user experience of analytics solutions; execute on engagements and collaborate with the client and delivery team to ensure that any applicable milestones and deliverables are met on time and on budget
- Design and develop industry-specific data models for client projects in industries such as Natural Resources, Finance, Manufacturing and Distribution, and Retail
- Work with other engineers to enhance data models and improve data query efficiency; create complex data queries to facilitate ad hoc and exploratory analytics
- Build real-time data capture and transformation functionality across all products and build out technology stack for Business Intelligence and Data Warehouse
- Clean data: review for data inconsistencies and identify opportunities to improve data collection process; Wrangle/Munge data: transform or map data from one raw data form into another format with the intent of making it more appropriate and valuable for analytics
- Develop, construct, test and maintain architectures such as databases and large-scale data processing systems; design, construct, install, test and maintain highly scalable data management systems
- Employ a variety of languages and tools (e.g. scripting languages) to marry systems together
- Build or recommend data visualization tools and business intelligence tools such as interactive dashboards and automated reports, to enable leaders to make swift, fact-based decisions
- Remain up to date of development technologies, both current and future in order to deliver state-of-the-art Analytics solutions for our customers
How do we define success for your role?
- You demonstrate BDO's core values through all aspect of your work: Integrity, Respect and Collaboration
- You understand your client’s industry, challenges, and opportunities; client describe you as positive, professional, and delivering high quality work
- You identify, recommend, and are focused on effective service delivery to your clients
- You share in an inclusive and engaging work environment that develops, retains & attracts talent
- You actively participate in the adoption of digital tools and strategies to drive an innovative workplace
- You grow your expertise through learning and professional development.
Your Experience And Education
- Post-secondary education in engineering or computer science or equivalent work experience
- Good experience working with Azure Databricks, Azure Data Factory and Azure Data Lake
- Strong attention to the quality of work delivered (attention to detail)
- Able to adapt quickly to changing client requirements
Preferably, you also have:
- Experience with the Microsoft SQL Server Analytics stack including: Core SQL, SSIS, SSRS, SSAS,
- Programming experience in Python
- Experience working with SQL and NoSQL databases
- Knowledge of Continuous Integration and Source Control systems (e.g. Gradle, Maven, Bamboo, TeamCity, Git)
- Data Visualization experience in Power BI, Tableau, or similar
- Experience using the Apache Hadoop ecosystem (Spark, Data Lake, Hive, HDFS, Impala) to tackle big data problems
- Exposure to data science, machine learning or statistics
- Some experience using Docker
- Knowledge of ETL, ELT, Lambda and Kappa data architectures
Our people-first approach to talent has earned us a spot among Canada’s Top 100 Employers for 2023. This recognition is a milestone we’re thrilled to add to our collection of awards for both experienced and student talent experiences.
Our firm is committed to providing an environment where you can be successful in the following ways:
- We enable you to engage with how we change and evolve, being a key contributor to the success and growth of BDO in Canada.
- We help you become a better professional within our services, industries, and markets with extensive opportunities for learning and development.
- We support your achievement of personal goals outside of the office and making an impact on your community.
Giving back adds up:
Where company meets community. BDO is actively involved in our communities by supporting local charity initiatives. We support staff with local and national events where you will be given the opportunity to contribute to your community.
Total rewards that matter:
We pay for performance with competitive total cash compensation that recognizes and rewards your contribution. We provide flexible benefits from day one, and a market leading personal time off policy. We are committed to supporting your overall wellness beyond working hours and provide reimbursement for wellness initiatives that fit your lifestyle.
We believe every employee should have the opportunity to participate and succeed. Through leadership by our Chief Inclusion and Diversity Officer, we are committed to a workplace culture of respect, inclusion, and diversity. We recognize and celebrate the valuable differences among each of us, including race, religious beliefs, physical or mental disabilities, age, place of origin, marital status, family status, gender or gender identity and sexual orientation. If you require accommodation to complete the application process, please contact us.
All BDO personnel are expected to spend some of their time working in the office, at the client site, and virtually unless accommodations or alternative work arrangements are in place.
Our model is a blended approach designed to support the flexible needs of our people, the firm and our clients. It’s about creating work experiences that meet everyone’s needs and providing flexibility to adjust when, where and how we work to meet the expectations of our role.
Ready to make your mark at BDO?
Click “Apply now” to send your up-to-date resume to one of our Talent Acquisition Specialists.
To explore other opportunities at BDO, check out our