Welcome to Gordon Food Service! We are excited that you are thinking about opportunities with us, and we have an amazing story to share. See below for a quick glance of who we are and the impact you could have on the food service industry. There's a seat at our table for you...
The Senior Data Engineer guides the development of GFS’ Data Platform consisting of the data lake, analytics, enterprise data warehouse, and visualization tools. Identifies and translates Big Data challenges into technical approaches yielding actionable recommendations across multiple, diverse domains. Helps define the team's technical design principles and has the tenacity to implement them.
Guides the Data Engineering team in their collaboration with teams across IT as well as the organization. Contributes to the design and architecture of Data Engineering technical solutions in an agile and incremental manner. Empathizes with the challenges the business faces and helps develop a technical solution to address them.
Is a leader in refining and following team processes to increase efficiency and capacity. Has extremely strong personal skills to develop relationships with and become a mentor to more junior developers.
What you will do:
- Provides expertise and guidance in defining the technical strategy and direction for the Data Platform environment at GFS, including tools, techniques, and processes.
- Provides guidance to the scrum master and product owner to determine priority and effort for features.
- Mentor to other team members in the appropriate use and application of new and existing tools and processes.
- Design and build technology solutions across multiple initiatives at the same time.
- Collaborate with others inside and outside of IT to rapidly architect, design, prototype, and implement technical architectures to deliver insightful solutions.
- Translate business analytics problems into technical solutions that yield actionable recommendations across multiple, diverse domains.
- Helps build a high-performing team focused on results and relationships within and outside of the team.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Leading candidates will have:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Advanced Analytics, Statistics, or related field required. Master's degree preferred.
- At least 8 years of experience in technical design, development, and delivery of data engineering technical solutions.
- Highly experienced with one or many cloud computing providers (e.g. GCP, AWS, Azure).
- Highly experienced in modern data movement technologies (e.g. serverless, real-time, as needed computing, low latency data movement, high volume data management, etc...).
- Expert in modern devops practices to deliver code quickly with a high degree of confidence and quality
- Business Influence - Ability to present and explain technical and complicated information in an easy to understand format, both verbally and in writing.
- Highly experienced in working with data visualization tools (Microstrategy, PowerBI, Looker, Tableau, etc…).
- Highly experienced in understanding and developing complex data models
- Knowledge of data governance, expectations and leading practices
- Business Judgement: High degree of ingenuity, creativity, and innovation to solve unique and complex business challenges; evaluate alternative solutions, considering costs and benefits.
- Preferred languages include but not limited to Python, Terraform, and Java.
- Preferred tool experience include but not limited to Apache Airflow, Kafka, Attunity, databases, queuing, Microstrategy.
- Nice to Haves
- Experience working with the SAP data model.
- Experience working with artificial intelligence / machine learning platforms and practices.
BE PART OF AN AMAZING CULTURE WHERE WHAT MATTERS TO YOU, MATTERS TO US!
Gordon Food Service values our customers and understands that their success is largely dependent upon their workforce. To demonstrate our commitment to our partnership, we will require any candidate who works for a Gordon Food Service customer to provide a letter of support from their management if they are selected for the interview process.
Gordon Food Service is an equal opportunity employer.
All qualified applicants and employees will receive consideration for employment, or in terms or conditions of employment, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. The EEO is the Law poster is available here:
. If you require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process due to a disability, please submit your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and use the words “Accommodation Request” in your subject line. Please keep in mind this method is reserved for individuals who require accommodation due to a disability.
All Gordon Food Service locations are tobacco-free. Gordon Food Service is a drug-free workplace and drug tests all employees.