The Information Management & Information Technology (IM&IT) function is an exciting and diverse function that employs professionals from information management, information technology, information assurance and cyber security to management information and statisticians. We act as the ‘digital partner’ to DE&S, helping the whole organisation to embed new business processes, tools and technology while at the same time keeping us legal and our information protected.
The DE&S team is seeking a Data Scientist professional, within UK Defence Standardisation (DStan), to lead on the presentation of complex data to stakeholders in a user-friendly format as a basis for future business decisions and to coordinate and assure all activities across DStan business applications.
The Post Holder will be responsible for:
What you will be assessed against
- working with DStan's Senior Management Team (SMT) & all relevant stakeholders to agree & report appropriate Key Performance Indicator (KPI) metrics to analyse the impact & applicability of Standardisation Management & the relevance & requirement of DStan's portfolio of Defence Standards.
- supporting colleagues by undertaking additional, more in-depth analytical reporting generated as a result of trends/gaps uncovered by the monthly KPIs & produce analysis to enable workforce planning/resource balancing.
- assist Subject Matter Experts and Project Delivery Team members to carry out a monthly, in-depth analysis of standards selection activities to demonstrate the value of DStan's business systems & procedures & highlight areas for concern.
- analysing complex datasets and conduct reference interviewing with internal/external stakeholders to gather information and background knowledge to develop an assurance analysis report from application data to include statistical information and trends.
- producing infographic representations of project performance and trend forecasts to distil the broad range of complex data within DStan into easy to interpret info-bites
- designing and building data models to fulfil business driven outputs.
- gathering, analysing, exploring and visualising the data to present the ‘story’ of the data in a meaningful way.
- identifying patterns and trends to share insights with the team to inform business decisions
- working collaboratively with team members and actively grow your analytical and data handling knowledge.
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Experience of analysis of data or production of management information in an organisation.
- Experience of Power BI utilisation in a business environment.
- Practical experience of report creation and communication
- Ability to present and communicate clearly verbally and in writing with and between the business and relevant staff to capture, record and understand how the data provides value to the organisation
It would benefit your application if you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
- Working knowledge of data identification, validation and visualisation
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
What's in it for you?
- MI and Analytics
- Data Literacy
- Changing and improving
- Communicating and influencing
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.About your team
Our mission is to both enable and drive DE&S towards its vision to become a world-class digital business. The IM&IT function employs professionals from information assurance and cyber security to management information and statisticians. We act as the ‘digital partner’ to DE&S, helping the whole organisation to embed new business processes, tools and technology.Please click the link below to apply by creating an account and upload your details.