The PositionAre you looking for a new scientific challenge?
In Roche’s Pharmaceutical Cell- and Gene Therapy organization,
we are united by our vision to drive and provide cell and gene therapies by translating scientific progress into life-changing experiences for patients. Our core business is to bring game-changing viral vector based therapies from early clinical supply onto the market to serve patients with an unmet clinical need. We are doing this by developing world-class adeno-associated virus vector (AAVv) manufacturing processes using cutting-edge technology for the whole value chain. Together, we create a culture defined by curiosity, responsibility, and humility, where our talented people are empowered and inspired to make extraordinary life-changing gene therapies a reality for the patients.The position:
As a Data Scientist (f/m/d)
you will be in a versatile and manifold position, working in a creative environment to support portfolio projects in the laboratory with digital transformation and data analysis. Moreover, you will be able to drive and implement strategic elements in the context of data science, data engineering, and IT/OT. In this dynamic field, you will have the opportunity to pioneer your own approaches and new directions. In particular, you will be able to experience and participate first-hand in the development and production of gene therapies and help to make them faster available for the world with digital solutions.Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Who you are:
- You optimize business processes with the development and deployment of innovative digital use cases. This includes both the automation of manual workflows using web-based applications, and the use of statistical methods and data science approaches to visualize, analyze, and interpret process data
- You translate the business processes and their needs into digital designs using formal requirements engineering approaches to evaluate complex data structures
- You develop concepts for data analyses of miscellaneous business questions, implement prototypes of ideated solutions, and create interfaces to make them available to stakeholders
- You do regular visits in other scientific areas (e.g. laboratory) in order to familiarize yourself with the development and production processes of gene therapies, and thus, identify potential areas of improvement with digital and data analytics solutions
- You collaborate closely with other Gene Therapy scientists, understand their need for primary data use, identify opportunities for secondary data analyses, and generate business value with digital and data science solutions for both
- You evaluate and apply state-of-the-art technology for data storage, data processing, and data visualization
- You work in local and global teams and present your achieved results in these teams
- You support the development and implementation of data analytics strategies for gene therapy, including the execution of FAIR principles and enforcement of a digital mindset
- You have in-depth knowledge of the gene therapy data landscape and serve as a source of information for other scientists
This position is limited to 3 years.
- You have completed a M.Sc. degree (a minimum of 5 years of experience) or a Ph.D. (a minimum of 2 years of experience) in the field of data science, bioinformatics, biostatistics, or a comparable scientific area
- You have professional experience in the areas of data science, data engineering, and business analysis
- You have excellent analytical thinking and problem-solving skills, coupled with very good communication and presentation skills, which you use to explain your work to colleagues that have no background in data science
- You have profound experiences in data preprocessing, cleaning, transformation, and visualization, especially with R, Python, and SQL
- You have in-depth knowledge of statistical approaches and hypothesis testing
- In addition, you have a very good understanding of algorithms and techniques in the areas of data mining, machine learning, as well as generative artificial intelligence
- This knowledge is coupled with extensive experience in modeling data with statistical models or ML, e.g. in R, Python, JMP, SAS)
- You are open to new ideas and question conventional thinking patterns or traditional work processes
- Your very good English communication skills allow you to work efficiently in a global environment
Please only upload your current CV and a cover letter. At the moment we do not require any further documents such as certificates, references or similar.We look forward to your application!
Your contact to us! With people. For people.
Do you need more support?
Our Talent Acquisition Team welcomes your questions. Please send an email to
Who we are
At Roche, more than 100,000 people across 100 countries are pushing back the frontiers of healthcare. Working together, we’ve become one of the world’s leading research-focused healthcare groups. Our success is built on innovation, curiosity and diversity.
Roche at Penzberg, near Munich, employs more than 7,000 people. The site is one of the largest biotechnology centers in Europe and the only Roche site with research, development and production for both Pharmaceuticals and Diagnostics under one roof. From your beginning with Roche, our motivated team will welcome and support you. Numerous opportunities for personal development, flexible work hours, attractive compensation packages and special family assistance programs are available.
Roche is an Equal Opportunity Employer.