Wabtec Corporation is a leading global provider of equipment, systems, digital solutions and value-added services for freight and transit rail. Drawing on nearly four centuries of collective experience across Wabtec, GE Transportation and Faiveley Transport, the company has unmatched digital expertise, technological innovation, and world-class manufacturing and services, enabling the digital-rail-and-transit ecosystems. Wabtec is focused on performance that drives progress, creating transportation solutions that move and improve the world. Wabtec has approximately 27,000 employees in facilities throughout the world. Visit the company’s new website at: http://www.WabtecCorp.com .
It’s not just about your career… or your job title…it’s about who you are and the impact you are going to make on the world. Do you want to go into uncharted waters…do things that haven’t been done to make yours and someone else's life better? Wabtec has been doing that for decades and we will continue to do so! Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, Wabtec delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
The Data Engineer will play a key role on the Wabtec Logistics and Analytics team, responsible for the implementation to transform data, provide an API layer to access and aid teams in integration of transportation logistics data from the industry reference files and Wabtec application systems. Some data will be used to build descriptive and predictive ML/AI analytics for the transportation and logistics customers.
In this role, you’ll build modern cloud-based containerized solutions hosted on Amazon Web Services that will transform our application landscape and the logistics industry. The team will be responsible for ensuring solutions are scalable, resilient and efficient and will collaborate with architects, data engineers, data analysts, cloud and application engineers, cross-functional teams, and product managers. You will design, implement, and operate data engineering solutions, using Agile methodology.
You are self-motivated, work independently, and have direct experience with all aspects of the Agile software and data development lifecycle, from design to deployment. Strong candidates will exhibit solid critical thinking skills, the ability to synthesize complex problems, and a talent for transforming data to create solutions that add value to Wabtec customers.
You have demonstrated ability to lead and take ownership of assigned technical user stories in a fast-paced Agile environment. Excellent communication skills are required as we work in a collaborative environment. You will demonstrate curiosity and outstanding interpersonal “soft” skills. Ideal candidates have more than just knowledge or skill set, as they also have a “can do” mindset to find solutions.
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of professional experience
- At least 3+ years of post-degree professional experience
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working in any one of the cloud environments (AWS, Azure, GCP) with Docker and Kubernetes containerization
- Strong knowledge of Object-Oriented Analysis and Design, Software Design Patterns, and coding principles
- Experience leveraging test driven development, pair programming, exposure to Gitlab CI/CD enablers
- Solid experience writing user stories, test cases to ensure data quality, system reliability and performance
- Experience developing applications in micro service-oriented architecture and event-driven architectures leveraging MQTT, Kafka, and/or RabbitMQ
- Experience developing and managing applications on AWS (EC2, VPC, S3, EKS and CLI).
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL queiries/applications, including performance tuning, utilizing indexes, and materialized views to improve query performance
- Experience with Java, Java Spring Boot, GO Lang, Python and/or other programming languages
- Experience with zsh, csh, bash, and/or other linux shells along with basic abilities to navigate via SSH
- Track record of implementing new technologies to improve data quality, availability, scalability
- Experience working as part of teams following Agile Scrum methodology
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Being a committer or a contributor to an open-source project is a plus
- Promote design of and aid in developing high performing and scalable end-to-end micro services that can integrate with rest of the microservices ecosystem.
- Responsible for providing technical guidance in defining, developing, and evolving software in a fast paced and agile development environment using the latest software development technologies and infrastructure.
- Apply technical strategy to daily activates and ensure products evolve toward the strategy
- Work with product owners to balance technical debt with new product capabilities
- Responsible for evaluating emerging & established technologies against product requirements, articulate tradeoffs and deliver platform/product solutions along with tools and processes to support robust designs.
- Demonstrated ability to help team members through pair programming, mentorship, code reviews, and grow them technically on emerging technology trends
- Work independently to develop key software modules to implement the strategic needs of the products and business
- Applies principles of SDLC and Lean/Agile/XP/TDD/CI/CD methodologies to deliver high quality, secure, and scalable software modules, documentation practices, refactoring, and testing techniques.
- Skilled in writing code that meets standards and delivers desired functionality using the technology selected for the project
- Support process improvements which guide the development, sustaining & support activities
- Work cross functionally with other business departments to align activities and deliverables.
- Drive world-class quality in the development and support of products.
- Understand performance parameters and assess application performance
- Proactively share information across the team, to the right audience with the appropriate level of detail and timeliness.
- Contribute effort estimations as part of strategic planning for upcoming product roadmap items
- Experience with business rules for extracting data along with functional or technical risks related to data sources (e.g., data latency, frequency, etc.)
- Experience with event driven architectures, caching, scale-out architectures, designing systems for high throughput, low latency, managing conflation, high availability, and fault tolerance
- Understanding of security compliance, managed services in cloud-based workloads
- Strong understanding and experience building enterprise grade cloud/hosted applications using varied technology stack and commercialization of the same
All salaried new hires must be fully vaccinated or be willing to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by date of hire to be considered for U.S.-based job, where permitted by applicable law and subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the one dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
Wabtec Corporation is committed to taking on the world’s toughest challenges. In order to fulfill that commitment we rely on a culture of leadership, diversity and inclusiveness. We aim to employ the world’s brightest minds to help us create a limitless source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles…people like you! Wabtec Corporation is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or protected Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.